• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pistol to rifle to pistol?

Wilfully_Armed

Default rank <400 posts Supporter
Survivalist
59   0
Reaction score
Have a question for someone intimately familiar with ATF regs aka BS.

I bought a rifle recently that's been pinned and welded. It came to me through an FFL transfer as a rifle. I called the manufacturer and they said it was originally distributed and sold as a pistol.

Can I undo the pinned fake suppressor, legally?

It's my understanding that if it started life out as a pistol it can be returned to that state.

TIA

Have a question for someone intimately familiar with ATF regs aka BS.

I bought a rifle recently that's been pinned and welded. It came to me through an FFL transfer as a rifle. I called the manufacturer and they said it was originally distributed and sold as a pistol.

Can I undo the pinned fake suppressor, legally?

It's my understanding that if it started life out as a pistol it can be returned to that state.

TIA
Does it have a stock or a brace

I am not an Attorney!

The ATF seems to say you can, pursuant to ATF Ruling 2011-4:

ATF website

From the website:

Can I lawfully make a pistol into a rifle without registering that firearm?​

Assuming that the firearm was originally a pistol, the resulting firearm, with an attached shoulder stock, is not an NFA firearm if it has a barrel of 16 inches or more in length.
Pursuant to ATF Ruling 2011-4, such rifle may later be unassembled and again configured as a pistol. Such configuration would not be considered a “weapon made from a rifle” as defined by 26 U.S.C. § 5845(a)(4).
[26 U.S.C. § 5845, 27 CFR § 479.11]

Personally, I would make DARNED sure it was once a pistol. If it wasn't, it seems like it would then be a "weapon made from a rifle".

Back
Top Bottom