• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pistol to rifle to pistol?

I am not an Attorney!

The ATF seems to say you can, pursuant to ATF Ruling 2011-4:

ATF website

From the website:

Can I lawfully make a pistol into a rifle without registering that firearm?​

Assuming that the firearm was originally a pistol, the resulting firearm, with an attached shoulder stock, is not an NFA firearm if it has a barrel of 16 inches or more in length.
Pursuant to ATF Ruling 2011-4, such rifle may later be unassembled and again configured as a pistol. Such configuration would not be considered a “weapon made from a rifle” as defined by 26 U.S.C. § 5845(a)(4).
[26 U.S.C. § 5845, 27 CFR § 479.11]

Personally, I would make DARNED sure it was once a pistol. If it wasn't, it seems like it would then be a "weapon made from a rifle".

That's what I read as well, but was concerned since it was on a 4473 as a rifle when it came to me, but confirmed by CZ it started out life, in the US, as a pistol.

So here is my question. If one purchased a tc encore that was sold in the rifle format does that mean one cannot put a pistol barrel and hand grip on the frame unless they are a law breaker?

So here is my question. If one purchased a tc encore that was sold in the rifle format does that mean one cannot put a pistol barrel and hand grip on the frame unless they are a law breaker?
I think this was a subject of a USSC decision. As I remember, TC got a special ruling in their favor. From what I understand, the ruling is considered VERY narrow as to only apply to this example.

Back
Top Bottom