• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Plated Cast Lead bullets in Glock factory barrel??

blake

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
177   1
Reaction score
I ordered a 500rd pack of Bitterroot Valley (BVAC) .40 180gr JHP from Cheaper Than Dirt, and when it got here I opened it up to find that the bullets were not JHP, but rather copper plated cast lead hollow points. I have gone back and forth with CTD and they basically just told me to pound sand, not their problem, and BVAC just isn't replying to my calls/emails. It looks like I'm stuck with this stuff.

I bought it for range fodder since it was relatively cheap, but I'm afraid to shoot it through a stock Glock barrel, which is my only .40 gun. My question is this - can I safely shoot all of this stuff through a factory Glock barrel with the polygonal rifling? Will it be as accurate as a true jacketed bullet? I'm shooting IDPA with it so it needs to be reasonably accurate.

By the way, lesson learned from CTD. I've always heard shady things about them but now I've experienced it and they will get no more of my business.

the problem with shooting lead in a standard glock barrel is there is no rifling for the lead to build up in so you run the risk of the barrel becoming at least partially obstructed...at the very least your accuracy is going to be off after a few rounds...maybe you can find someone nearby with a non-glock to trad with?

Copper plated is just fine. I've shot many thousands of it through my Glocks.

Even lead is fine as long as it is hard enough. It's the home brew wheel weight lead that gets people into trouble if they don't know what they are doing.

The accuracy is even great with both..

A respected member of the ODT community and retired LE officer told me yesterday he had been shooting lead from his glocks for over 10 years before he ever heard not too. Secret is using hard cast lead. After a range session he would use a cork and a quick soak in vineger ( 3 to 5 minutes ) to remove all traces of lead. Don't soak for too long the vineger could pit if left in the barrel.

Good grief, which is it? I've heard both ways with plenty of confidence on each.

Make up your own mind with the information available. I'd say go to the range with 250 and then shoot. For the first hundred rounds, check the barrel every 10 rounds and then every 25 after that. You'll know if lead is building up.

Make up your own mind with the information available. I'd say go to the range with 250 and then shoot. For the first hundred rounds, check the barrel every 10 rounds and then every 25 after that. You'll know if lead is building up.

Yeah that's the thing, I bought this stuff for range ammo. For the same price I could have a half case of FMJ that I wouldn't have to mess with checking for leading, soaking in vinegar, etc.

I'll post it up and hope that someone with a different gun will buy it and I'll be able to buy some FMJ.

Yeah that's the thing, I bought this stuff for range ammo. For the same price I could have a half case of FMJ that I wouldn't have to mess with checking for leading, soaking in vinegar, etc.

I'll post it up and hope that someone with a different gun will buy it and I'll be able to buy some FMJ.

I just found it at CTD. The stuff is copper plated. Don't sweat it at all. I've shot A LOT of these type bullets. They don't lead at all and are more like FMJs than lead bullets. The coating isn't as thick as a jacket, but it is still copper plated around the lead.

So the whole "check after 10 rounds" thing need not apply? I can't be all taking my gun down between scenarios at IDPA matches and whatnot. :p

Back
Top Bottom