• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Please Vote - Considering Major Changes for Classifeds

Would charging non-supporters $1 a month to post in the classifieds hurt the site?

• Yes, charging $1 a month would hurt the site and is a bad idea.

Votes: 713 54.5%
  • No, $1 is cheap enough to not lose people over it.

Votes: 596 45.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've posted items a few times, but if I have to pay to post an item that might sell...............no thanks. I enjoy the forums but when folks have to start paying for extra features, they usually migrate to other sites.....

What other sites compare to the ODT?

I think you're looking at it backwards. Do something like giving non supporters limited ability to list things like a listing a month. Incentivize becoming a supporter. You offer no real benefits to being a supporter.

Agreed, I would be willing to pay more to in order to get a first look at new ads. How about a system to prioritize supporters ads over non supporters ads. Supporter ads stay on the front page for longer, or have a special section.

I think you should charge non supporters a fee to post, this isn't craigslist.

Man, lots of "freeloader", "cheapskate" and other demeaning comments from the "supporters" of this site toward folks who have been non-supporters. Fine, but I was under the impression that being a supporter was a choice. Supporters paid because they wanted to pay, not because they had to. Some non-supporters like me, decided to stop becoming a supporter because I had that option.

I tend to agree with JWC here. While I can't see any reason I would ever not be a supporter, if someone else doesn't want to be for whatever reason that's really no one's business but their own.

I do think there's some merit to the idea of having some minimalist level of access to the classifieds for free. Maybe like 3 free listings a year or something and then you could go up to unlimited access at the $10/yr level. However, with that you also have to consider something that I think is usually overlooked, and that is what it's going to require on the software end. I don't think it's often realized that even things that seem simple enough to do require either developer time, a separate add on, or even a full upgrade to get them done. All of those things have a cost associated with them, and the more variables you introduce into whatever model you go with, the more it's going to require.

BTW, while the poll doesn't mean anything, 55.4% of those who have voted, voted against the change.

To be honest, when the poll first went up I kind of expected something like 75-80% against.

At least this would be one way for those multi year ads selling the same stuff and to get peeps to start marking things sold instead of just lingering out there wasting peoples time until the system finally boots it.

Man, lots of "freeloader", "cheapskate" and other demeaning comments from the "supporters" of this site toward folks who have been non-supporters.

As usual, you are spot on. We have both been here long enough to remember the days when the "Supporter" badge was invented, and the days when "Supporters" would post ads and only sell to "Supporters ONLY", because everybody else was bad lol. From day one for a few vocal in the minority the supporter badge has been a chest thumping soap box to assuage their oppressed, inferior imaginations. This thread is no different. They show up to tell everybody what great men they are, lol. Most "supporters" are like the rest of the unbadged/unwashed....pretty decent men Somethings never change.

Gee.. That was about my first post.. These guys know how to play this group like a fiddle...

The owner is simply looking for a way to maintain the site's revenue stream without negatively impacting site usability and he floated an idea that's worked successfully on a lot of other similar sites. Implying that this entire thread was just some sort of manipulative, back door supporter drive is not only ridiculous, it's also kind of an asshole thing to say about the guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom