• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Please Vote - Considering Major Changes for Classifeds

Would charging non-supporters $1 a month to post in the classifieds hurt the site?

• Yes, charging $1 a month would hurt the site and is a bad idea.

Votes: 713 54.5%
  • No, $1 is cheap enough to not lose people over it.

Votes: 596 45.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I may bring this thread back to it's original and intended purpose...I find myself agreeing with JWC JWC - make ODT a pay site and everyone becomes a "member." Now, "member" may mean different things to different people. To some, it may mean something in one's pants but to many of the rest of us, it also denotes belonging in some fashion to an organization in which we find value. What I see in this thread is more divisiveness than family. Whatever else I believe prompted Okuma not-Steve to post this at this time, I do not believe he intended to be divisive. Given the general quality of debate here on ODT, I'm not sure I would have asked for opinions. However, by doing so and in explaining the nature of the market forces at work on ODT generally, he has precipitated a landslide of new supporters. He has altered the way I, and perhaps some of you, think about the site. That is not a bad thing but it may also be a clever manipulation. Or it may not be. It could have been a very clever, very shrewd move or one that was naive. I cannot say - I've met Okuma exactly once in the seven and a half years I've been here. In my mind neither of those potentialities reflect well on him. I would have preferred to see him lay out the compelling, and they are actually existential, reasons why he needed to institute a pay system, tell us how much, and by when the "membership" fee needed to be paid. This thread has become something more akin to H.G. Wells', The Time Machine, with the virtuous Eloi (Supporters) and the evil Morlock slackers...errrr...I mean, non-supporters arguing minor tangential points ad infinitum. I appreciate the framework Okuma has built here but remember it is you and I who have populated it. Having skin in the game is the next step. For full disclosure, I have been a supporter but am not currently.

Okuma Okuma do what it is you need to do and then close this eyesore of a thread. Just my $.02...

Why did I read this in Ron Swanson's voice .... LoL

Ron_Swanson.0.jpg

Dang Cat, knowing you as I do......this must have been difficult to type, ".I find myself agreeing with JWC JWC - make ODT a pay site and everyone becomes a "member." lol

Seriously, I believe something like or similar to what I typed would work.

I don't visit ODT any where as much as I used to, but I do appreciate the site. I don't buy or sell many guns (or anything) here but I enjoy looking at the advertisements and do get a kick out of some of the way overpriced guns that I see. I also see great deals that I never have the money for at the time.

I did vote NO on the poll mainly because I don't think it is too much to ask for the pleasure of using ODT. Oh yeah, I just became a lifetime supporter - just because!

I don't visit ODT any where as much as I used to, but I do appreciate the site. I don't buy or sell many guns (or anything) here but I enjoy looking at the advertisements and do get a kick out of some of the way overpriced guns that I see. I also see great deals that I never have the money for at the time.

I did vote NO on the poll mainly because I don't think it is too much to ask for the pleasure of using ODT. Oh yeah, I just became a lifetime supporter - just because!

You don’t think that’s what is at the heart of why this thread was posted?
Everyone thinks they’re smarter and will just become supporters...

Don’t you think that’s what the author wants?
Do you think they want to start to manage this??...

Really....?

:thumb:.............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom