• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Plumbing problems

After using a large quantity of hot water (shower, dishwasher, wash machine) I get increased pressure in both cold and hot lines maybe 10 mins after. I've been somewhat diligent leaving a sink cracked but my wife...not so much. She was cleaning today and noticed some water leaked under the kitchen sink. I suspect the 2 are related sooo...yea.

After using a large quantity of hot water (shower, dishwasher, wash machine) I get increased pressure in both cold and hot lines maybe 10 mins after. I've been somewhat diligent leaving a sink cracked but my wife...not so much. She was cleaning today and noticed some water leaked under the kitchen sink. I suspect the 2 are related sooo...yea.
The only pressure creating device would be your water heater.
If you are sure that the line pressure isn't normally high, then the only thing it could possibly be is your water heater.
And then the pressure relief system has failed and the water heater is creating an over pressure as well where it needs the fail safe...which apparently has failed.
Odd

I'd get a pressure gauge and just verify what you think is going on.
Maybe see if you can operate the relief valve manually in case it is stuck.
Is your water scalding hot?

Nope. Water is normal. I dont even have it turned up to the "normal" heat ranges. It started a few months ago out of the blue. Dont remember any defining moment. The tank is older though and may be on the way out. Just not real sure why the cold side is affected too. Does home depot/ ace carry pressure gauges? I assume they do but I've been wrong before.

They do. About ten bucks.
Cold side would be affected only if there is a back flow preventer or check valve in the line.
Actually you probably have a pressure reducing valve and the screen is dirty.
The line pressure drops because the screen can't flow enough but builds pressure when closed.
The setting is too high thus the leak.
Odd again

I would go with the water heater theory but the water not being hot hot doesn't support it.

Back
Top Bottom