• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Police trade in guns

I've got a few LE-marked handguns. My favorite is a S&W M-10 4" that is marked on the backstrap with "Royal Hong Kong Police".

Most agencies don't mark them. My current duty gun has my agency initials as the first 3 "digits" of the serial number.

Most wear on these guns are holster wear. Every police gun trade in that I examined was immaculate on the inside.
I looked at a G17 cop trade in back in the 90s that had damn near all the finish gone off both sides of the slide. Chuck's Gun and Pawn still wanted $400.00 for it.

A person could build an interesting collection of marked police weapons. I had a G23 a few years ago that was engraved for the Fulton County District Attorney's office.
That's pretty unique. I have friend back in middle GA that sold a Rossi Snub to the Bibb Co DA ( and loaded it for him) when he worked at Hanoi Hanks on Gray Hwy. Less than an hour later the same DA killed himself with it in his office. The Macon PD got right back to my buddy Henry since his prints weren't the gun and ammo. His prints were also on file since he has a big NFA collection.

"They still do. Was in there on Monday and they had on GA DNR 1911-2011 special edition one as well as another Georgia DNR model."

Were those Glocks?

Some are but the majority aren't marked. Although it may seem to be neat or cool to own one that is marked, it can cause some confusion if you are ever stopped by the police and they see it. They will see a civilian with a pistol that is marked with some type of law enforcement markings engravings etc, so more than likely they will think that it is stolen. I have a buddy that owned one marked Maryland State Police and was stopped in Virginia. He went to jail until they could verify that it was a police trade in. I personally wouldn't own a marked one.

Idk about that story. Stolen guns are entered into a national data base they run the serial number which can be verified on the spot, if it doesn't come back stolen there should be no hassle. So if that's a true story your buddy needs to make sure that department knows hoe to handle legally armed citizens.

Some are, some aren't. I have run into this a couple of times where someone calls because they are doing a private sale, but the gun has PD markings. Run it on NCIC/GCIC, not stolen return, send them on their way.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom