Poll: Digital technology and our youth

How does Internet and technology affect kids and young adults, 12-25 yrs old?

• Mostly positive

Votes: 6 9.0%
  • Mostly negative

Votes: 47 70.1%
  • Neither positive nor negative

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • Tacos

Votes: 10 14.9%

• Total voters
Snapchat was invented solely for young teens to hide social media posts from their parents.

My mom (born in 53), her sister and all thier friends created their own little language to be able to talk to one another around adults. They came up with code names for certain topics, moved around vowels in words, changed where verbs and nouns fit within sentences, etc. They did in front of me one time and it was hilarious.

Also, when you were younger, I bet you read Playboy for the insightful articles. :)

1960's selfie.jpg

I have a nephew that is addicted to games (first person shooter) and youtube videos (assorted types, mostly good and normal stuff).

But he spends 18 hours a day staring at an electronic device, every day all summer, all orher school breaks , and every weekend.

His parents put him in sports and summer camps, but he whines and quits.
Then he gets to stay home and play games instead.

Every Saturday night, he is told to go to bed by midnight so he can get up at 8:00 a.m. for church, but he stays up until 0200 and skips church.
Either by honestly saying he's too tired, or LYING and saying he's sick.

(But at 11 a.m., his "sickness" is cured and he's off on another 15 hour binge of electronic entertainment).

He's barely passing any of his classes, and he should be FAILING them, but the school's expectations are so pathetically low, he's progressed to 6th grade with a 3rd grade knowledge, skill, and ability level.

I have a nephew that is addicted to games (first person shooter) and youtube videos (assorted types, mostly good and normal stuff).

But he spends 18 hours a day staring at an electronic device, every day all summer, all orher school breaks , and every weekend.

His parents put him in sports and summer camps, but he whines and quits.
Then he gets to stay home and play games instead.

Every Saturday night, he is told to go to bed by midnight so he can get up at 8:00 a.m. for church, but he stays up until 0200 and skips church.
Either by honestly saying he's too tired, or LYING and saying he's sick.

(But at 11 a.m., his "sickness" is cured and he's off on another 15 hour binge of electronic entertainment).

He's barely passing any of his classes, and he should be FAILING them, but the school's expectations are so pathetically low, he's progressed to 6th grade with a 3rd grade knowledge, skill, and ability level.
The future is bright.
But bad parents have always been around.

We held off getting my boys (fraternal twins) cell phones until about 6 weeks ago. They are 14. Most of the kids in their middle school had them already. We broke down and got them because of football and cross country practice. And warned them we can take them away as easily as we gave them. Kudos for T-Mobile and their military promotion!

Son #1 - my gosh, I WISH HE WOULD google something before he goes tearing into it!

My wife's bicycle trigger shifter wasn't working so he took it apart. Common problem and all it needed was a shot of penetrating oil to work properly again. He ends up losing some parts or something so we had to buy a new shifter mechanism. He installed it and all is well.

He also put a big bore kit in his scooter. Twice - after the first one seized up on him.

It's a family tradition - if all else fails read the instructions.

Serious.

Family.

Tradition. And boy how-dee, did he get it honest.

Both boys enjoy their online gaming. One would rather go to Costco with us than play online given the opportunity.

It's hard to paint with such a broad brush if something is good or bad. I think a lot of it has to do with the personality that you are born with. At least raising fraternal twin boys we've for the most part treated them the same and they are very different individuals.

I think one of the good things is the access to information to learn more about what interests you. Back in my day you had to go to a library and check out a book and read it. Believe me, I can still remember the tables in the Ford book that said a 1965 427 was rated at 425hp. Well, my memory's not so good so I would have to look that one up again but all that is now a click or two away.

Back
Top Bottom