Poll: Digital technology and our youth

How does Internet and technology affect kids and young adults, 12-25 yrs old?

• Mostly positive

Votes: 6 9.0%
  • Mostly negative

Votes: 47 70.1%
  • Neither positive nor negative

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • Tacos

Votes: 10 14.9%

• Total voters
It's all parenting problems. I have 2 small children and when I am out I notice other families with similar ages kids and the whole damn family is on thier phones at the dinner table cant hardly look away long enough to order a meal. Hell there are kids in the daycare we use that are jammed behind a tablet in a chair when I drop my kids off and the same chair same kid same tablet in the same spot when they get picked up. Nothing the owner of the daycare can about it. (Parents are pricks according to her)

I think its lazy parents getting away with entertaining thier kids with as little effort as possible on thier part. I wont blame the kids or the product. But either way it isnt good for them.

We call it the electronic babysitter and can make for some easy parenting.

We try to limit our kids to an hour of TV and 30 minutes of IPad or phone time a day. My kids are at a really tough age (5, 3 and 8 months) and throwing an electronic device in front of them would make our life so much easier, but we don't.

Also, what they watch is important too. If she had her choice my 5 year would watch stupid youtube videos of adults (hands only) opening up random kids toys and playing with them using kids voices. instead, I have a curated playlist I created for her so that I can make sure the videos she is watching is educational.

I think you've turned into my favorite ODTer.

View attachment 1686723

My oldest daughter is 5 ... but I plan to raise her to understand what a phone can do. I'm sure she will make some mistakes but she should be fine. Things will continue to advance and we will adapt and evolve, as we have always done.

You are probably right about teenagers. My dad told me that I acted like he was the dumbest SoB alive from ages 12-22 and that he became the smartest man alive from age 22 on.

I made a promise to myself as a young adult (10+ years ago) that I would never turn into an old man that always looked at the past as "the good old days" while disregarding the advancement of technology and society. That I would not be afraid of change but rather I would embrace it. Some of my mentors at the time were these type of people but based on my experience there didn't seem to be a lot of them. They become my mentors because they understood and could relate to my generation while sharing their wisdom through past experiences that one can only get through age. However, I found that a lot of the older generation had that "those damn kids these days" attitude and as I looked back through history found out that this has happened in every generation probably since the beginning of time. I promised myself I would never be like that.

Back
Top Bottom