pollishing media

glockfan

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
100   0
Reaction score
I finaly have all my reloading gear. Now all I need is the media for the tumbler. I heard that you can buy the corn cobb media and mybe other types of media as well at pet stores and feed stores, is this true?

Most of my brass is fairly clean but some of it is almost black from sitting outside at the range for a very long time. Is it worth my time and money to try to clean the extreemly dark brass or should I just throw it away?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I was also wondering if I should clean the brass in the tumbler before I deprime it or is it ok to deprime before I use the tumbler. I have carbide dies if that makes any differance.

glockfan said:
I heard that you can buy the corn cobb media and mybe other types of media as well at pet stores and feed stores, is this true?
I've bought corn cob from the pet section at walmart, but it's a little larger than ideal size. It works fine for straight wall cases but will usually clog up in bottleneck cases. My preference is for crushed walnut media. It's available as lizard litter at most pet stores.

glockfan said:
Is it worth my time and money to try to clean the extreemly dark brass or should I just throw it away?
If it's been outside that long I'd personally toss it. Brass is cheap.

glockfan said:
I was also wondering if I should clean the brass in the tumbler before I deprime it or is it ok to deprime before I use the tumbler.
Doesn't matter. If you deprime first make sure to check your flash holes as media tends to get stuck in them.

I usually polish/clean, then deprime. Like VHinch said, the media can clog in the primer ports. If you use case polishing compound in your tumbler, be sure to check your cases for gobs of gooey media that can find it's way inside the case.

Wheeler

I usually polish/clean, then deprime. Like VHinch said, the media can clog in the primer ports. If you use case polishing compound in your tumbler, be sure to check your cases for gobs of gooey media that can find it's way inside the case.

Wheeler

This ^^^. I polish then deprime. The Walmart CC stuff will work...just mix in a tsp of metal polish while it is agitating, and it'll be good to go.

1/2 corn cob and 1/2 "lizard litter" -add 1/2 cap of 'Nu finish" car wax and 1 paper towel cut up into 2" squares. That will clean and keep down the dust. Deprime after cleaning.

As tempting as it seems - you should not do this. If your brass is so bad looking you are considering this - my recommendation is to move to a drum tumbler or take better care of your brass. Drum tumbers are allot more active in cleaning brass than standard vibration tumblers, and, they get allot more brass on brass contact.

I buy the lizzard litter at Pet Smart. It's walnut hulls and a LOT cheaper than buying from a reloading store. I polish THEN deprime.

Lizard litter. Thanks for that info. I'll have to try it. I've never had any luck polishing cases once they get black. I tried but they never come clean.

Back
Top Bottom