Pool owners. Pump replacement?

GeauxLSU

Default rank 5000+ posts
Corn Pop
Staff member
Super Moderator
63   0
Reaction score
Where the stars at night are big and bright.
After developing a noise and some power up glitches over the summer it appears the pool pump motor has gone TU. Just called for a quote on a replacement pump and was floored at the $3,800 number. If anybody has done this themselves, be interested to hear your experience. Just the motor, (assuming it's just the motor and not the pump) can be purchased online for under $600. The swap looks fairly easy. But the tech I talked to mentioned that the high heat, which it definitely generated as it was failing, has a high likelihood of having damaged the pump parts, impeller etc. so they normally replace both. No idea if he was selling or being honest. (What I do know is I don't need some fancy variable speed Bluetooth controled $3,800 pump.)
Anyway, any experience?

I've replaced motors and the whole pump/motor assembly before, it was an easy process. The motor swap is very simple and even swapping the whole thing out was pretty easy. Just some minor pvc plumbing needed to connect the new pump to the water lines and rewiring it to the power supply. $3800 is rough

Bought one for 600 on Amazon…needed new plumbing to…paid my guy $200 to replumb and that included disconnects so we didn’t have to cut pvc if pump fails again..also wired in the new pump..took us maybe an hour…

I did a motor/pump rebuild maybe 10 years ago for less than $400. It was in a crawl space under the house. Worst part was watching a black snake go up a wall while I was under there and not seeing where it went. $3800 is crazy.

Even if this is one of those larger high efficiency programmable models.. $3800 seems excessive.
Unless there is damage to the pump or to the impeller, replacing the motor and a pump seal kit should be sufficient.

*Do not replace the motor without replacing the pump seal and gaskets as you will likely be replacing the motor again in about a year...especially in salt water pools.
Yes, I know from experience :p

Even if this is one of those larger high efficiency programmable models.. $3800 seems excessive.
Unless there is damage to the pump or to the impeller, replacing the motor and a pump seal kit should be sufficient.

*Do not replace the motor without replacing the pump seal and gaskets as you will likely be replacing the motor again in about a year.
Yes, I know from experience :p
Yeah some supposedly EPA mandated variable speed bluetooth controlled nonsense. Not buying it. It more ways than one.

Back
Top Bottom