• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Powder dispenser issues

I have the Lyman powder despenser/scale combo and love it for rifles. It is slow for pistols, If i can find a load with my lee dippers I will use them or go to the manual powder dispenser.

I'm assuming y'all are running progressive presses? I'm still in the stone age with a single stage, is there a way to run the Lee auto on it or would I have drop the cash for a progressive?

You can use it with single stage. Get the Lee Pistol powder through expander die. The auto disk mounts on it. It bells the mouth of the empty case slightly as the case is raised and actuates the auto disk. You would still have to fill each case then come back and seat bullets in a seperate step. You should try Universal powder in the perfect powder measure. I think you might find that it will work well. Personally I wouldn't get an auto disk unless I was at least using a turret press. Hard to beat the Lee classic turret for under $100. Add the auto disk and you have a very versatile press.

I'm assuming y'all are running progressive presses? I'm still in the stone age with a single stage, is there a way to run the Lee auto on it or would I have drop the cash for a progressive?

If you read many of my post, you'll soon figure out that I'm way too anal to use a progressive press. I do to much case prep to make any progressive work for me.

I also change calibers and setups to often to use a progressive. Most of my loading is done using a Lee Classic Cast Turret press. I use it in single stage mode, no auto indexing. They're great for my use.

I've had a lot of presses, but the Lee CC Turret used single stage is by far my favorite.

Ain't nothing stone age about a single stage, I've bought another new one in the last year. A Lee Classic Cast that uses the quick change lockable die inserts. It loads em' as straight as any press that I've owned. ( The Turret press does too)

If you try one of the Lee Auto Disk, you'll wonder why anyone would use anything else.
They're so inexpensive and work so well that I own 4 or 5 of em' that I leave setup per caliber.

Yea, I know it sounds like I work for Lee. I ain't crazy about all their products, but when they get one right, they hit it out of the park.

If you read many of my post, you'll soon figure out that I'm way too anal to use a progressive press. I do to much case prep to make any progressive work for me.

I'm the same way to me prep is the key and I never understood how someone could load 100s of rounds ever couple of minute. I'm just not confident enough that every round would round would turn out the same.

I've been looking at the Lee turret press for awhile, and it does make sense because it takes me forever changing dies all the time.

Don't feel bad about mentioning lee so much almost all my equipment is made Lee with the exception of some dies.
There stuff is rock solid.

Again, I will echo Chuck Dog's comments:

I shoot a lot of .40 S&W, some .223, some 9mm, and some .308.
I have a Lee Classic Turrent and a Hornady LNL AP as well as Lee's least expensive single stage press.

Powder Measures will all get a thorough cleaning with Hornady's Clean & Dry Lube spray, then a "Rub-Down" with Powdered Graphite, then multiple test loads with actual powder. Further,I don't buy powders that do not meter well OR that don't result in a near full case for the loads that I will use. Other than their SC "Short Cut" versions, I avoid extruded powders (VARGET, etc). Instead, I use Ball OR Waffer (not flake) type powders as they tend to meter very well.

Case preperation and inspection are MAJOR considerations for me, even if I buy FULLY PROCESSED brass. All cases are gauged before priming, with priming done ONLY after all of the sizing lube has been removed ... and priming is usually done with my Lee Had Priming Tool.

Some of the "Whys":

1) With .40 S&W, even the best roll-sized, then Full Length sized brass, about 6% will also need a trip through my Lee Bulge Buster (and some of these will be rejects).
2) I don't like to risk priming brass that has any trace of lube on it (don't try to change my mind on this!)
3) Except for the Lee Classic Turrent, any progressive priming system is TROUBLE (That's the major source of complaints about ALL Progresssives: LEE, Dillon, Hornady, etc)
4) I Mostly use Starting Loads from reliable tables, that result in a near full case loading as these are OK using most powder meters ... Near MAX loads will be individually weighed!
5) I like to keep things Simple and Safe.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom