• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Powder Suggestions

jba6511

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
53   0
Reaction score
Looking for suggestions for a good all around powder for pistol rounds, preferably one that is easy to spot a double charge. It will be for 9mm at first, but eventually I will also be reloading 9mm makarov, 32 ACP, and 45.

Universal works very well in most calibers I load. It's virtually identical in burn rate to the old favorite Unique.

Universal meters better, burns cleaner/more efficiently, yields good load densities even in larger cases, and delivers excellent accuracy at moderate velocities.

Just started using universal myself, seems to do real well, and doesn't require as many grains as many powders. Loading for lower velocities right now.

Universal works very well in most calibers I load. It's virtually identical in burn rate to the old favorite Unique.

Universal meters better, burns cleaner/more efficiently, yields good load densities even in larger cases, and delivers excellent accuracy at moderate velocities.

X2 - Just be aware that most (including me) have found that Universal does best with mid to close-to-max loadings ... lighter loads tend to smoke and leave unburned residue.

The HP38/W231 is good powder. After getting tired of being freckle faced from Unique W231 was my "Go To" powder for several years. After a few conversations with some local guys I tried Universal a few years back. I prefer the Universal due to better load density in the larger cases. For all practical purposes, it has all the good attributes of Unique, without the downside for me.

I'm getting into reloading 9mm and find this info helpful. Any recommendations for powders with low flash for low light shooting?

Back
Top Bottom