• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Prayers needed for my 6 year old Son.

Our son developed Tourette syndrome in the third grade. Happened basically overnight and started on a plane trip back from visiting my parents at Christmas. Started as a sniffing and throat clearing. Within months had progressed to shoulder shrugs and some contorted movements with his head, shoulder and arm. Over the years it would change somewhat ,and none of the medications really seemed to do any good. Those that did make a difference would eventually stop being effective and they would start some new crazy cocktail of drugs. It's probably as hard on parents as the kid because you want to help but there is nothing you can do. My greatest fear was how the other kids would treat him in middle and high school, but the fear was unfounded. I was amazed. At least at the schools where he went the kids were not like they were back when I was in school and most all kids were cruel to anyone who was different. Very rarely did he ever have issues with anyone making fun of him or saying anything. That didn't make it any less difficult. It was hard for him to sit in class worrying about disturbing others. A kid with Tourette's will sit there and do everything they can to concentrate on holding back the tic so they can't concentrate on school. Then after holding it in all day and the added stress it makes it worse at night. One of the reasons I'm sure he decided not to stick with college. He's 21 now and working to become an Electrician. I always prayed he would grow out of it as a certain percentage do. Fortunately it never turned in to the rare verbal form that gets the attention in the media. He still has tics but it's not nearly as bad as it was and most people don't even notice it any more. Sometimes when he is stressed it gets worse and will still cause him sore back and neck problems. He stopped taking any medication for it back in high school at his choice. He didn't feel any of it helped enough if at all to offset the side effects.
Hopefully whatever is wrong will not turn out to be serious. Please feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Our son developed Tourette syndrome in the third grade. Happened basically overnight and started on a plane trip back from visiting my parents at Christmas. Started as a sniffing and throat clearing. Within months had progressed to shoulder shrugs and some contorted movements with his head, shoulder and arm. Over the years it would change somewhat ,and none of the medications really seemed to do any good. Those that did make a difference would eventually stop being effective and they would start some new crazy cocktail of drugs. It's probably as hard on parents as the kid because you want to help but there is nothing you can do. My greatest fear was how the other kids would treat him in middle and high school, but the fear was unfounded. I was amazed. At least at the schools where he went the kids were not like they were back when I was in school and most all kids were cruel to anyone who was different. Very rarely did he ever have issues with anyone making fun of him or saying anything. That didn't make it any less difficult. It was hard for him to sit in class worrying about disturbing others. A kid with Tourette's will sit there and do everything they can to concentrate on holding back the tic so they can't concentrate on school. Then after holding it in all day and the added stress it makes it worse at night. One of the reasons I'm sure he decided not to stick with college. He's 21 now and working to become an Electrician. I always prayed he would grow out of it as a certain percentage do. Fortunately it never turned in to the rare verbal form that gets the attention in the media. He still has tics but it's not nearly as bad as it was and most people don't even notice it any more. Sometimes when he is stressed it gets worse and will still cause him sore back and neck problems. He stopped taking any medication for it back in high school at his choice. He didn't feel any of it helped enough if at all to offset the side effects.
Hopefully whatever is wrong will not turn out to be serious. Please feel free to PM me if you have questions.
Thanks for the words.

My 6 year old son needs blessing and prayers. He is currently at a pediatric neurologist being being looked at. About a month ago he started having tics, eye blinking, and some should shrugging. Very manageable - I took him to the Doc on May 16th and she said this stuff is transient and it passes. Looks worse than it is. Well fast forward 2 weeks. This past Friday it went off the charts to the point he could not walk 2 ft with out basically freezing up. So there is a long story after that and we are here and he is at the MD office being seen right now.

My family needs the power of prayer.

In Jesus name I thank you all.

If you have any experience with Pediatric Tics or even tourettes to a lesser degree PM me please. Let me know what was done for you or your child.

UPDATE: I spoke with my wife she is back from the Neurologist office.

Here is the deal in a nut shell.

He has Transient tics. They are tics that will come and go during childhood. Scared the crap out of us. He got a low dose of a medication for management as needed. We have to eliminate food dyes, any high sugar foods, stress, etc. I am taking it a step further and killing video games and internet for him. Welcome to 1982 kid. He is cleared medically to do anything. Thank God.

He will be seeing an allergist tomorrow to make sure a food is not causing it or environmental trigger. He is having blood drawn and tested as a precaution and will have a EEG to make sure he is not having any seizures. Which we do not think he is.

At least we know what it is and what to do now.

Thank you all for the prayers and blessings
I Pray for complete healing in the name of Jesus, I break off every attack from the enemy and I Pray for Divine intervention and Super natural healing in the name of Jesus.

Really glad to hear the update!
We have to eliminate food dyes, any high sugar foods, stress, etc. I am taking it a step further and killing video games and internet for him. Welcome to 1982 kid. He is cleared medically to do anything. Thank God.

You know whats funny. I thought of distraction through interaction. We just beat the crap out of each other with light sabers and dodge balls for 30 minutes in the back yard. Zero tics. No joke.
I'm a firm believer that LOTS of children's ills today can at least be helped (if not 'cured') by simply living with less unnatural distractions and exerting physical energies. Well done Obi Wan! :afro:

Back
Top Bottom