• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Prayers needed.

I'm heartbroken to hear of B. Byrds passing. I had the honor of meeting him a few times and always enjoyed his company. The first time I met him was to sell him a truck load of firewood. We worked together and loaded up his little truck with so much wood that we had to use the cab to complete the full load. Charlie hands me 40.00 more than our negotiated price and tells me my price was too low. I tried to give it back but he would have no part of it. We met a handful of times after that for various reasons and the pleasure was always mine.

GOD bless you B. Byrd, you will be missed.....

How many of you know what "garand thumb" is?
Somehow the old shop wound up with a really nice M1 garand, and a few of the "older" guys started talking about how to close the bolt with "getting bit" and what it was like learning the valuable lesson. Mr Charlie decided to give us a demonstration on the proper way to not get "bit". After hearing all the stories, and knowing Mr Charlie wasn't as healthy as he was a few months before nor had the strength he normally would have, I could just see him losing the end of his thumb or worse. Low and behold, he locked the bolt back, then rolled his thumb in the mag well and released it in one fluid motion, without ever getting close to his thumb. It all happened so fast and I'm not sure if everyone was watching as closely as Tim and I, but Mr Charlie did it all and didn't even look like he was even thinking about what he was doing. I really ain't sure he wasn't staring out the window daydreaming, but I am sure he didn't strain or struggle.

How many of you know what "garand thumb" is?
Somehow the old shop wound up with a really nice M1 garand, and a few of the "older" guys started talking about how to close the bolt with "getting bit" and what it was like learning the valuable lesson. Mr Charlie decided to give us a demonstration on the proper way to not get "bit". After hearing all the stories, and knowing Mr Charlie wasn't as healthy as he was a few months before nor had the strength he normally would have, I could just see him losing the end of his thumb or worse. Low and behold, he locked the bolt back, then rolled his thumb in the mag well and released it in one fluid motion, without ever getting close to his thumb. It all happened so fast and I'm not sure if everyone was watching as closely as Tim and I, but Mr Charlie did it all and didn't even look like he was even thinking about what he was doing. I really ain't sure he wasn't staring out the window daydreaming, but I am sure he didn't strain or struggle.
I remember that. Be darned if he didn't pull it off.

Back
Top Bottom