• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Prayers needed.

Fellow ODT members, a real gentleman will no longer be a part of ODT. I was on my way to the hospital when Tim relayed to me the sad news of the passing of B Byrd, Charlie. To say that I am saddened, just does not convey how I truly feel. Charlie was one of the finest men I ever met. Many ODT members did not get the opportunity to meet Charlie because as he fought leukemia, Charlie had to be concerned about infections and could not attend M&Gs. Charlie loved M&Gs and really just loved to hang out with members whenever he could. Charlie was in attendance at the first M&G I ever attended, Sweetwater, under the pavilion. I introduced myself, and called Charlie, Mr. Byrd. Charlie looked at me and said, "you do realize that is not my name, don't you?". I didn't, but we had a good laugh. I could go on and on about Charlie, but I won't. My allergies get to kicking up when I think about him. So Charlie, aka Kermit, on another site, B Byrd, on ODT and Mr. Piggy, on another site, you will be missed. Prayers to Holly and the rest of Charlie's family as they try and deal with the loss of this wonderful gentleman.
Thanks JWC. He will be missed. Like a lot of us when he first gets up the computer is where he goes,and the ODT was his home!. It saddens me not to be able to talk to my dear friend, for he was the first person I met on here. I've been taking care of his little dog(which is his name) its almost more than I can bare going into his home. Talking with his daughter the last few days has kept my strength up,she's alot like her dad,smart witty,tough,but the loss of charie has really hurt her. She just gave birth to Charlie's first grand child in January, and I'm so thankful he held on to be a part of her life. Thanks everyone for the prayers z it means so much to me and Charlie's family.

Fellow ODT members, a real gentleman will no longer be a part of ODT. I was on my way to the hospital when Tim relayed to me the sad news of the passing of B Byrd, Charlie. To say that I am saddened, just does not convey how I truly feel. Charlie was one of the finest men I ever met. Many ODT members did not get the opportunity to meet Charlie because as he fought leukemia, Charlie had to be concerned about infections and could not attend M&Gs. Charlie loved M&Gs and really just loved to hang out with members whenever he could. Charlie was in attendance at the first M&G I ever attended, Sweetwater, under the pavilion. I introduced myself, and called Charlie, Mr. Byrd. Charlie looked at me and said, "you do realize that is not my name, don't you?". I didn't, but we had a good laugh. I could go on and on about Charlie, but I won't. My allergies get to kicking up when I think about him. So Charlie, aka Kermit, on another site, B Byrd, on ODT and Mr. Piggy, on another site, you will be missed. Prayers to Holly and the rest of Charlie's family as they try and deal with the loss of this wonderful gentleman.

Well said. But now I must attend to my allergy flair!!

Without going into too much detail, he sent me a sell offer a few weeks ago and it's amazing how you can glean how gentlemanly a person is from typed text. He alluded to his illness and apologized for not being able to travel. Reading between the lines, I could also tell he did not want to sell the gun which was heart breaking. I did not purchase it (and now regret it soley for the missed opportunity to meet him) but was genuinely moved by his offer. I did not realize he was suffering from Leukemia. It took my father. Those who knew him can hopefully gain some peace in that his fight is over and his glory has arrived.
RIP kind sir....

Anyone want to share their best/worst/funniest memories of Mr Charlie?

One bad rainy day at the old shop, the landlord (a very old grouchy lady even when she was happy) came looking for rent (which the shop owner didn't have at the moment) well, she was parked in the no parking zone as she thought it would be a quick visit. When she made it back to her car it wouldn't start. Of course the shop owner wanted no part of helping her so I got volunteered to go see what could be done. Mr Charlie felt bad for her (and me I think) and waded through the water in the street and down pour to retrieve his battery jump box. We got the car started, then she let it die so, we got it going again. We told her to go straight to the battery shop and have hers replaced, and for a minute I thought Charlie was gonna follow her to make sure she made it okay. We got soaked and Mr Charlie never said a word, until it was suggested he should take her on a date. He then informed everyone there that he had no need for an old lady and he didn't need her money. As serious as he took everything, he smiled and chuckled that day, but never complained about being drenched.

Never had the pleasure of meeting the man but I did get to enjoy his posts. RIP Charlie aka B. Byrd.
B.Byrd..gone..but not forgotten..didnt have a chance to meet Charlie,but we bantered back and forth over stupid stuff...My prayers for this family!

I met Charlie 29 years ago and we have been friends a long time. He is the person that pointed me to this website a few years back.

I bought a flat-latch, diamond grip model 36 a few months back and he helped me date it with the serial number. Now I know many of the S&W experts will tell you there is no record correlating S/N's to dates but Charlie had a way. You see, he bought a flat-latch, diamond grip Model 36 new, in 1958 and the S/N on mine was only about 1000 away from his.

Now for the small world thing. My wife's cousin and Charlie were college roommates at Emory. We had known Charlie for about 20 years before we discovered that.

RIP my friend,
John

Charlie was a hell of a guy and I hate to hear this. He will always hold a special place with me and with the site, he was an early adopter and is the only person besides myself to attend every "official" ODT Meet Up, even year one when there were only seven of us at a small restaurant in Marietta.
I won't pretend we were close, but he was a friend and I thoroughly enjoyed all the times I got to see and talk to him. You'll be missed my friend.

Charlie was a hell of a guy and I hate to hear this. He will always hold a special place with me and with the site, he was an early adopter and is the only person besides myself to attend every "official" ODT Meet Up, even year one when there were only seven of us at a small restaurant in Marietta.
I won't pretend we were close, but he was a friend and I thoroughly enjoyed all the times I got to see and talk to him. You'll be missed my friend.
Charlie thought alot of you.

Back
Top Bottom