• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Press choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I've stated, there's not a progressive that I like. That's because I'm anal about my load quality.

My ammo may not be cheaper than what I can buy ready to shoot? Mine's better though! If I didn't
believe that statement I certainly wouldn't take the time to load em'.

As SpamCastle noted the Classic Lee Turret with auto indexing may be one to consider without going full progressive?
I have one of these that I use as a single stage. I can attest to its quality and ease of use, even though I choose not
to use the auto index feature.

But, to answer your question, if I'm going to use a progressive, it would be a blue one.

As above, the Dillon's more expensive than what you've been looking at, but they're also a lot more
user friendly. They're also built to churn out the ammo too.

Graf & Sons stocks them. Below is a link.

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/599?

I have the Pro 1000 set up for .45 acp and it works really well. I tried other calibers but as others have said it is a pain to change over. If you leave it set up for .45 lc it will work well once you have it tweaked. I also have a Lee turret press and it is a very good press. Not as fast as the progressive but much easier to change out calibers. Both are very reasonably priced.

for the price it's hard to beat the Lee products and the quality of the rounds would be fine...

personally I went with a Dillin 550b. it's not cheap and by the time you buy a couple of tool heads, accessories, etc. you'll be into it for a lot of money but once you have them setup, it's easy to change calibers. takes me about 4 or 5 minutes and I can do about 13 calibers with the stuff I have for it currently. I keep one powder measure for rifle and one for pistol, so that makes it a bit easier to dial in the loads...

pretty easy for me to crank out 300-400 rounds an hour of any type of loads I want to do...

Hornady LnL AP is what I moved to from my Lee Pro 1000. I have enjoyed the move, but the stay with Lee was workable. I had it down to about a 2 minute caliber change on the Lee.

I have reloaded for over 45 years. I started with a Lyman Spartan single stage. Then a Lee turret. Then, at one time, I had three Lee Pro 1000s going. Then I bought a 650. Lord have mercy.
The Lee 1000 is inexpensive relatively speaking. It is a pain. The learning curve is a little long, but they do work. Mine loaded 1000s of 45acp, 9MM, and 38spl. The Lee Turret "progressive" is a waste. Better buy a bunch of the nylon gears. I have one. I also use it as a manual tureet.

If the budget fits, I would definitely get the Dillon 550. Heck, get a 650 if you want a reliable tank of a loader.. The Square Deal B is ok but the dies cannot be used in anything else (propietary). If you can afford it, definitely get the case feeder. The case feeder on anything progressive makes it right. The resale of a 550 with case feeder is a slam dunk. You will lose very little if any at all.

Normally someone says you don't need a case feeder or even a 550. If you can afford it, you need it:).

45 Colt cowboy load:

Are you a purist who says you must have a load that recoils like a blackpowder load of yesteryear? Barrel at 40 degrees? 250 gr bullet? Old fashioned holsters? PC? I ain't. i compete and no one has more fun than me.
When I first started with a pair of nickle 4 3/4" Colts in 45 Colt, I loaded a 165 gr lrfp over 4.2 grs of American Select. Tight roll crimp. Gotta hold on to that bullet until the case seals the chamber. Fast shot recovery. On a big and close one, pin the trigger and sliphammer that sucker as fast as you can:). Now I shoot Ruger 3 screws in 38spl. 3.2 grs of AS pushing a 105gr LTCFP in rifle and pistol.

Chuckdawg, when you are shooting a piece of steel 16"H X 12"W at 15 to 20 feet, you really don't worry about quality control. If ya got powder, primer, and a bullet, ya got it made:).

Last edited:
Dillon 550B. Yeah it costs a bit, but it will last the rest of your life and load any caliber you want with minimal time to change.

DILLON is the way to go! Get a 550 and you will never regret your decision.... or buy some other press and be sorry.... Blue Kool Aid is the best....

I have reloaded for over 45 years. I started with a Lyman Spartan single stage. Then a Lee turret. Then, at one time, I had three Lee Pro 1000s going. Then I bought a 650. Lord have mercy.
The Lee 1000 is inexpensive relatively speaking. It is a pain. The learning curve is a little long, but they do work. Mine loaded 1000s of 45acp, 9MM, and 38spl. The Lee Turret "progressive" is a waste. Better buy a bunch of the nylon gears. I have one. I also use it as a manual tureet.

If the budget fits, I would definitely get the Dillon 550. Heck, get a 650 if you want a reliable tank of a loader.. The Square Deal B is ok but the dies cannot be used in anything else (propietary). If you can afford it, definitely get the case feeder. The case feeder on anything progressive makes it right. The resale of a 550 with case feeder is a slam dunk. You will lose very little if any at all.

Normally someone says you don't need a case feeder or even a 550. If you can afford it, you need it:).

45 Colt cowboy load:

Are you a purist who says you must have a load that recoils like a blackpowder load of yesteryear? Barrel at 40 degrees? 250 gr bullet? Old fashioned holsters? PC? I ain't. i compete and no one has more fun than me.
When I first started with a pair of nickle 4 3/4" Colts in 45 Colt, I loaded a 165 gr lrfp over 4.2 grs of American Select. Tight roll crimp. Gotta hold on to that bullet until the case seals the chamber. Fast shot recovery. On a big and close one, pin the trigger and sliphammer that sucker as fast as you can:). Now I shoot Ruger 3 screws in 38spl. 3.2 grs of AS pushing a 105gr LTCFP in rifle and pistol.

Chuckdawg, when you are shooting a piece of steel 16"H X 12"W at 15 to 20 feet, you really don't worry about quality control. If ya got powder, primer, and a bullet, ya got it made:).

With all due respect, "you may not worry about QC". I'll let you speak for yourself, so I'd appreciate the same consideration from you.

If I put it together? If I or anyone else is shootin it, then quality is what it's all about.
The targets irrelevant to quality? Different folks have different priorities, loaders are no different.
Reloaders load to save money. Handloaders load for better performance. I ain't willing to trade speed for quality.
I can't load the same quality ammo using a progressive. Others may be able to, just not me?

What's acceptable for many ain't for me? If it's worth my time, it's worth doing it to suit me.
I ain't worried about what anyone else considers right?
I know I don't want to shoot any ammo that's "good enough" either?
To each his own,
Thanks' CD

Own two Dillon and a few other. Love my Blue!!!!!!!!!!!Best customer service!!!!!!!!!!if it breaks they will fix it. Red Cent is right get a case feeder if you can afford it

With all due respect, "you may not worry about QC". I'll let you speak for yourself, so I'd appreciate the same consideration from you.

If I put it together? If I or anyone else is shootin it, then quality is what it's all about.
The targets irrelevant to quality? Different folks have different priorities, loaders are no different.
Reloaders load to save money. Handloaders load for better performance. I ain't willing to trade speed for quality.
I can't load the same quality ammo using a progressive. Others may be able to, just not me?

What's acceptable for many ain't for me? If it's worth my time, it's worth doing it to suit me.
I ain't worried about what anyone else considers right?
I know I don't want to shoot any ammo that's "good enough" either?
To each his own,
Thanks' CD

Dang CD. Spoilin for an argument? You misquoted me. Didn't say you had to do anything. I said " you don't have to". I simply pointed out that you couldn't miss with bad ammo. Well, I guess you could if you are a bad shot. As an old benchrester and long range varmint hunter I can appreciate meticulously loaded ammo. But I ain't sittin' around a reloader for shootin' steel that close. Rifle the same way. 40 feet and about the same size doesn't require it. But thats up to you. Too little time and too much shootin' to do for me.
I competed in a Wild Bunch match yesterday. 1911, 1897 shotgun, and a Uberti/Winchester 1873. Fast and furious, big and close. Sometimes four reloads with the 1911 on a stage. Lovin' it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta8lQuDqJxQ

Not me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom