• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Press choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all due respect, "you may not worry about QC". I'll let you speak for yourself, so I'd appreciate the same consideration from you.

If I put it together? If I or anyone else is shootin it, then quality is what it's all about.
The targets irrelevant to quality? Different folks have different priorities, loaders are no different.
Reloaders load to save money. Handloaders load for better performance. I ain't willing to trade speed for quality.
I can't load the same quality ammo using a progressive. Others may be able to, just not me?

What's acceptable for many ain't for me? If it's worth my time, it's worth doing it to suit me.
I ain't worried about what anyone else considers right?
I know I don't want to shoot any ammo that's "good enough" either?
To each his own,
Thanks' CD

Dang CD. Spoilin for an argument? You misquoted me. Didn't say you had to do anything. I said " you don't have to". I simply pointed out that you couldn't miss with bad ammo. Well, I guess you could if you are a bad shot. As an old benchrester and long range varmint hunter I can appreciate meticulously loaded ammo. But I ain't sittin' around a reloader for shootin' steel that close. Rifle the same way. 40 feet and about the same size doesn't require it. But thats up to you. Too little time and too much shootin' to do for me.
I competed in a Wild Bunch match yesterday. 1911, 1897 shotgun, and a Uberti/Winchester 1873. Fast and furious, big and close. Sometimes four reloads with the 1911 on a stage. Lovin' it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta8lQuDqJxQ

Not me.

No argument from me? Read your own post. You called my name while speaking on QC in your first post.

Seems that you're the one looking to argue? You call someone's name, commenting on their statement and are surprised when they respond? I promise that if you leave me and my post out of yours, you'll never know I'm here!

It takes all kinds I reckon? To the OP, Sorry for screwing up your thread with a peeing match.

Last edited:
I drank the blue koolaid too... I have only used one progressive, but that 550B is dang slick. They advertise 400 rounds per hour and I've done that without breaking a sweat.

If you don't have to have a new press ASAP, I'd recommend keeping an eye on the online classifieds. I got my 550B with two complete tool heads and some brass/bullets for about $400 locally- helluva deal by all accounts. That was through a local credit union bulletin.

CD, you have read my posts wrong. I am sorry you have taken my posts as an affront. It was meant as lighthearted comments on the casual approach to loading for cowboy.

Is this what made you mad?
"Chuckdawg, when you are shooting a piece of steel 16"H X 12"W at 15 to 20 feet, you really don't worry about quality control".

I am afraid I don't see any insults or name calling. Sorry CD. i'll stay away from you if you like.

CD, you have read my posts wrong. I am sorry you have taken my posts as an affront. It was meant as lighthearted comments on the casual approach to loading for cowboy.

Is this what made you mad?
"Chuckdawg, when you are shooting a piece of steel 16"H X 12"W at 15 to 20 feet, you really don't worry about quality control".

I am afraid I don't see any insults or name calling. Sorry CD. i'll stay away from you if you like.

Maybe this will clarify things a bit for you.

You've made the same choices made in your original post.

All those places where you have used the word you replace them with ​I,

and I won't give a damn what you type.

Take time and read the the post. You called my name, not a name?

I don't take a lackadaisical approach to any of my loading.

I don't encourage anyone else to either.

When you're speaking for yourself, just please don't type things like, "you don't care" when it should read "I don't care"
and you won't see a word from me?

Whether you're speaking for me, or at me, "It just ain't too cool sittin' where I am to read it."

Last edited:
Which press would you recommend? I will mainly be loading 45LC but I like having the option to load others.

I've been using a Dillon 550B since the early 1990s. Pretty easy and quick to change calibers, especially if the calibers use the same primer size. If you do change primer size, it only takes a couple minutes more to exchange the primer slide, so it's still not too bad. Mine is currently set up for 3 calibers...9mm, 38 Spl, & .45ACP. I recently picked up some used toolheads and caliber conversions, so will also be loading .223, .44Spl, & .45LC.

It costs a bit more, but I have no regrets....I would buy another in a heartbeat. Flawless operation.

To pickup any appreciable amount of speed, you'll likely need to go with a progressive.
Some folks like the auto indexing feature on the Lee Turret?

What type of powder measure are you using?
The Pro Auto Disk combined with Lees' powder through case mouth expanding dies make
handgun loading much faster for me. Combining mouth expansion and charging makes a
big difference in the time taken for loading.

I've had several progressive presses, and they just aren't for me?
I can't make myself not do all the case prep?

I use Universal from Hodgdon for my 45 Colt loads. It meters great, gives good load
density, and burns very clean.

Hey Chuckdog, I've been loading since the 1960s on single-stage presses...kinda anal about my quality control, as well. While I currently don't use my 550B for magnum loads (.357 or .44), I've had good success with accuracy loads in my .45ACP & 38Spl. My testing hasn't shown any degradation in accuracy from when I was using my old Rockchucker.

At present, I'm just not comfortable running my max loads of WW296/H110 through my Dillon, although I have no basis for my hesitation. Just conservative, I guess. I typically check case length on my .357 & .44 mags, as I typically shoot a lot of cast boolits and want my roll crimps to be consistent for accuracy and complete powder burn. I may try a box or two of mags on the Dillon later this year, but will back off a grain or so, just for safety. I'll still carefully sort my cases, however.

CD, I have been involved in the banking business most of my life. Because of this I had to make presentations and address large groups including fellow board members. Talking to a number of employees, one will use you in its plural form. I could have used the colloquialism "y'all" but that would not fit the setting at the time. Surprisingly, y'all can be interpreted to address one person.

When I post, I visualize a large number of posters/readers including the OP. I usually write in that context, and up til now, have never had someone react as you have. Because of the business, I have been "on" the computer for over thirty years. I always try to step out of the box when I write and try to be on alert what can be taken in the wrong context. I never saw you coming.

I have apologized to you publicly and tried to explain that nothing was intentional. If you want to continue, please e-mail or Pm me. I'm gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom