private sale with out of state seller

kcwater

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
26   0
Reaction score
I'm a Ga resident, I'm planning to buy a handgun from an out of state ODT member (tennessee). If we meet in TN, is it legal for us to just do the exchange with a bill of sale? Or do we need to find an FFL to handle the transfer? This may be based on TN gun laws rather than GA. I'd rather not deal with an FFL and pay the fee, but I want to make a legal purchase. I know if he comes to Georgia we need to use an FFL, because he is out of state. Any help would be much appreciated. What's the easiest legal route to take here?

State-to-State sales/transfers need to go through a FFL in the state of the new proposed owner. To be totally correct, the original owner needs to transfer it to a FFL in his/her state, the FFL sends it to an FFL in the new proposed owners state and then transfer to the new owner in the new state. Otherwise the guys with badges get a bit upset... At least that's my understanding. Handguns and Long guns have different rules, this response is to the handgun question.

Last edited:
I've done deals where someone came in from out of state and we did the sale and transfer at my local FFL. That's the legal way AFAIK.

State-to-State sales/transfers need to go through a FFL in the state of the new proposed owner. To be totally correct, the original owner needs to transfer it to a FFL in his/her state, the FFL sends it to an FFL in the new proposed owners state and then transfer to the new owner in the new state. Otherwise the guys with badges get a bit upset... At least that's my understanding.
Yup, they both have to go thru a FFL dealer...

Back
Top Bottom