• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Progressive press question

Buy a Universal de-priming die. Use it on your single stage and hand prime. Leave the pro 1000 set up as usual, except you take the de-capping pin out. Run your pre-primed brass through the press as usual. The priming on the Pro-1000 is worst thing about the press. Otherwise, it is a good press.

I believe that a crimp is needed on any bullet running in a semi auto gun. How else can bullet setback be prevented?

Barely any crimp is needed in handgun rounds. You shouldn't even be able to see it on the brass. Look at the factory loaded ammo, you won't see a crimp. You just need to tighten the brass around the bullet.

Anymore than tightening and you're stressing the metal, metal fatigue is your enemy.

Last edited:
Since we seem to be on the subject:

How much crimp is needed?

Two simple tests:

On a semi auto -- enough to prevent the bullet from moving aft into the case as it goes from the mag, to smashing into the ramp on its way into the chamber. You can rack (and clear ) a few dummy rounds into the barrel, remeasure and compare to the original length. If they get shorter you need more crimp.

On a revolver -- Fire five, remove and remeasure number six if it got longer, you need more crimp.

The required crimp will vary as brass thickness and bullet types vary.

Since we seem to be on the subject:

How much crimp is needed?

Two simple tests:

On a semi auto -- enough to prevent the bullet from moving aft into the case as it goes from the mag, to smashing into the ramp on its way into the chamber. You can rack (and clear ) a few dummy rounds into the barrel, remeasure and compare to the original length. If they get shorter you need more crimp.

On a revolver -- Fire five, remove and remeasure number six if it got longer, you need more crimp.

The required crimp will vary as brass thickness and bullet types vary.

That's a good way to test a revolver round crimp. I only do .45LC and I've never measured the 6th. I've never had a problem, but I'll do it for ****s and giggles.

Thanks for the idea!

I bought one of Cobalt 60 Cobalt 60 's Lee Pro 1000 and what everyone says is spot on....once you get familiar with it, it runs pretty good. It didn't take me too long to get it running good but I'm not using the priming system or the bullet feeder. I am using the case feeder which is nice.

Cobalt - do you use the bullet feeder? I haven't tried to get that running yet.

Back
Top Bottom