• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Progressive press question

Oh no! Man, I hate you did not like it!

It's not that I didn't like it! Plus you gave me a great deal with all of those components. I gave it to a good friend who is disabled/retired . He has much more time to reload than I do so I provide all the components and he does most of the work. It works out pretty good :) However, I started to miss reloading and have always wanted the classic turret press so I got one so I could reload at hom and eventually get into rifle calibers and know I will need to go nice and slow.

All that said, if I were to buy another Lee progressive press, I would go ahead and get the Loadmaster because the cast iron does feel much more sturdy and like the option of having more dies set up and apparently there is more space between the turret and shell plate for my clumsy mitts. Are you missing 45ACP yet?

It's not that I didn't like it! Plus you gave me a great deal with all of those components. I gave it to a good friend who is disabled/retired . He has much more time to reload than I do so I provide all the components and he does most of the work. It works out pretty good :) However, I started to miss reloading and have always wanted the classic turret press so I got one so I could reload at hom and eventually get into rifle calibers and know I will need to go nice and slow.

All that said, if I were to buy another Lee progressive press, I would go ahead and get the Loadmaster because the cast iron does feel much more sturdy and like the option of having more dies set up and apparently there is more space between the turret and shell plate for my clumsy mitts. Are you missing 45ACP yet?
Still all 9mm..........for now!

Thinking of a Loadmaster myself

Guys, the Load Master is plagued with bad reviews, the 1000 works pretty well but is best with cartridges that are seated and crimped in one step--due to the number of holes for dies.

The Hornady and RCBS have poor ergonomics when it comes to speed; you can only use your right hand for the handle movement.

The Hornady's powder measure is accurate but seems pretty Micky mouse in the linkage, and the primer system is not very reliable--I test drove a friends for a 1000 rounds of 45ACP, right before I bought my 650.

I do like the Hornady die mounting system--no tool head to move around when you are focusing on accurate rifle loads.

I bought a used Square Deal B 17 years ago for 45ACP, I bought a used Dillon 550 over 15 years ago, and last year I bought a 650.
I can not even guess how many tens of thousands of bullets I have loaded.

I would do it the same way again.

Go to Graf and Sons, or Dillon's web sight and fill the shopping cart--reference the check out page for a price, and just save your money a little longer to get it.

The Dillon web sight is a pain to use for me.

What ever you choose--I do hope you enjoy it.

Last edited:
Guys, the Load Master is plagued with bad reviews, the 1000 works pretty well but is best with cartridges that are seated and crimped in one step--due to the number of holes for dies.

The Hornady and RCBS have poor ergonomics when it comes to speed; you can only use your right hand for the handle movement.

The Hornady's powder measure is accurate but seems pretty Micky mouse in the linkage, and primer system it not very reliable--I test drove a friends for a 1000 rounds of 45ACP, right before I bought my 650.

I do like the Hornady die mounting system--no tool head to move around when you are focusing on accurate rifle loads.

I bought a used Square Deal B 17 years ago for 45ACP, I bought a used Dillon 550 over 15 years ago, and last year I bought a 650.
I can not even guess how many tens of thousands of bullets I have loaded.

I would do it the same way again.

Go to Graf and Sons, or Dillon's web sight and fill the shopping cart--reference the check out page for a price, and just save your money a little longer to get it.

The Dillon web sight is a pain to use for me.

What ever you choose--I do hope you enjoy it.

If I go Dillon, it will have to be a 650!

I know this is an old post, but I just helped a buddy set up his Dillon 550b last week. He'd never reloaded before, and had the powder dispensor setup before I got there. We spent 15 min. setting up his bullet seating and crimp die and I left after we loaded a couple good rounds. 30 minutes after I left texted me that he had loaded 50 rnds and thats with checking the powder charge every 20 rnds or so. Not bad for a inexperienced new guy.
Now compare that to my buddy who bought the Lee Pro. 1000, we spent 3 hours screwing with it to determine it didn't come indexed right from the factory and the primer feed wasn't working right. A little research online determined its a well known problem. He ordered some "aftermarket" parts for the priming system online to get it more reliable. He can now use it but must be careful. I tell ya what, if you get a Dillon press it'll spoil you.

I use the Lee 4 position turret press and prime off the press, but deprime and resize on the press before I SS pin tumble. When I load I size again in station one (with no decap pin), flare and powder through in station 2, bullet seat in station 3 (Lee bullet seat die includes a crimp if you choose to set it) and finally station 4 is Lee Factory Crimp Die, which has an integral carbide ring for making sure every round is under max chamber size. Nice feature on automatics like 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 auto. See no reason your approach on the Lee 1000 won't work if you decap and resize as a separate operation before hand priming. Let us all know how it works out.

Back
Top Bottom