• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Progressive press

They are all good, and you pretty much get what you pay for.

Dillon is my favorite.

I once test drove a friend’s Hornady for over a thousand rounds of 45 ACP. At the time, I had One 650 and was considering a Hornady for rifle reloading. I ended up with a second 650. Then I sold one of them, and I missed it, So, I bought another 650. So, three 650’s, a 550, and a square deal B later.....I am sticking with Dillon. Currently, I have the two 650s.

They all break and occasionally malfunction. Dillon’s warranty is outstanding. If it breaks, all it takes is an e-mail with your address, and the parts are shipped asap.

In the Dillon line up, if you want to reload less than 500 rounds before needing to change over to a different caliber, go with the 550. If you want to load a few thousand at a time before switching calibers, go with the 650. If you are serious about tens of thousands of one caliber at a time, get the 1050. The square deal is only intended to do one caliber.

Hornady LNL with case feeder and Mr. Bulletfeeder here. I can crank out crap tons of quality ammo with very little fuss. I've seen lots of folks complain about different progressives and I think it really comes down to one's ability to problem solve and not be a dumb *$$. If you are a dumb *$$ you probably won't have much luck with any progressive.

Not saying it's the best, just stating that it works fantastic for me and costs a boat load less then the Dillon. I pull the handle, I get ammo. Personally, I couldn't imagine it being any better since it's pretty flawless for me now...and I saved money.

I've always wanted to try a Dillon, but I never could justify it since what I already have works so well. I'd just be spending money for the sake of playing around. Not that there's anything wrong with that. This is also a hobby, but I have other hobbies as well, so saved funds can always go elsewhere.

Oh, and I've dealt with Hornady and RCBS customer service several times each and both companies have sent me replacement parts, politely and without question. Dillon doesn't have a monopoly on great customer service.

Great info. Looks like im leaning towards a 550. Thanks for all the input guys

I was new to reloading and started with a Lee. A couple years later and I now have two Dillon 550bs and a Lee single stage. You get what you pay for in ease of use, quality and performance. I no longer have time to reload, but I plan on finding time this coming year.

will be loading 7.62x51/.308, .458 socom, .358 yeti, .45 colt and ?? i dont mind using the manual index, but for larger batches progressive would be nice
I know nothing about the Hornady LnL, but several friends have them and like them. I bought a Dillon 550b about 27 years ago because they were well known and I liked the versatility. Plus, there weren't many *reliable* progressives out there at the time. The few times I've needed parts, Dillon sent them to me within days for free. At one time, other manufacturers made you pay for replacement parts.

I've never regretted my purchase and I have about 10 different toolheads to reload the various rifle & pistol calibers I use most. I use a variety of die brands (which I already had for my single stage), which is nice and makes it relatively economical.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

GO DILLON BLUE, and you are through, have had DILLON THE BLUE, presses since late 1970's, they run, and run, and run, with normal maintenance, and care.

Would not have any other, tried the cheap way, should have just thrown my money out on the expressway, and watched it disappear...

Just a simple consideration to strongly consider...

I have a Dillon 550 and love it. It's versatile in that you can load "progressively" or you can almost use it like a single stage. For precision shooters who measure every grain all you do is remove the powder dispenser and use a funnel.

I've always liked the idea of the RCBS turret press but it'd be hard for me to give up my Dillon

Back
Top Bottom