• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Providing info to a ODT buyer?

I went to the local police station to check a VIN number on a truck I was going to purchase, that didn't have a title.
I asked the policewoman if she would check the number. Oh, no. They couldn't do that without probable cause, they could get fired, they could get fined, and sent to jail.
I went to the tag office and the girl at the counter looked it up and it was all clear.

Cops with all the authority to do nothing. DJD

So you call in a serial number on a firearm, the cops run it, and it has been reported stolen, now what?

This was a first... I had a gentleman PM in response to a posting with his phone number to call him... Fairly low feedback number and an occupation I found "red flaggish"...
Very quickly we agreed on a price and a time (I dropped the price 10 for the day) and he asked if I was the original owner, which I am not so I told him so.
He asked for the serial # of the item so he could check it...
I have never been asked that question, and even the quickness of the comment was already raising that flag higher. I responded "No I would not do that"...
Do you see any potential problems with providing any info; phone, serial #, etc.
Thanks in advance...
Your person experience counts...
When I bought a weapon on ODT, I worried that I may be buying a stolen gun. I requested the SN so I could run it through a few stolen gun databases before I agreed to meet. If the seller refused to provide it, I would not have agreed to purchase the weapon.

When I bought a weapon on ODT, I worried that I may be buying a stolen gun. I requested the SN so I could run it through a few stolen gun databases before I agreed to meet. If the seller refused to provide it, I would not have agreed to purchase the weapon.
Possibly a reason for 1 feedback?

Possibly a reason for 1 feedback?
59002720.jpg

You do have that right

You Sir, should probably stick with FFL dealers.
Whenever you buy anything secondhand there is always a possibility of it being stolen.
Even running the numbers, or buying it from a FFL dealer, doesn't mean is wasn't stolen, it just means that it hasn't been reported stolen. So there's that.

You shouldn't set yourself up with a false sense of security.

PS; I doubt you and I would ever trade.

From what I understand, the police will not run a number unless they have said item in their possession.

Probably innocent enough but I wouldn't give it out. Not to someone I didn't know.
Mostly true,there still are some ole school cop friends that will run number,but if it comes back stolen its your ass or the gun they gonna be wanting.

Mostly true,there still are some ole school cop friends that will run number,but if it comes back stolen its your ass or the gun they gonna be wanting.

I agree with you, but some of these folks think the cops will run any and all numbers over the phone.

Back
Top Bottom