• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

PSA Bolt Carrier Groups - $75+$4 GA Tax +8.50 Shipping

I just unsubscribe from their email spam that was virtually the same three or four a day. From what I understood Ga wants all out of state retailers to charge sales tax to sales inside the state of ga but they have no real way of enforcing it so a few voluntarily abide and the rest keep doing what they have always done.

I don't believe they have a GA location.

The GA Dept of Revenue has been actively pursuing big internet sellers to try and force them to collect sales tax on their behalf.

In theory if you buy something from out of state, you are supposed to pay the state a 'use tax' equivalent to a sales tax. Of course no one ever does that, so the State passed a law allowing the DoR to try and force companies to collect the 'state' part of the sales tax for them, even if they don;t have a local presence. That's why it's only 4%.

Companies with legal muscle can ignore this, since they can duke it out in court (and that's the last thing the DoR wants to do). Companies like Amazon can agree with stipulations, like the sweetheart deals they got for building logistics facilities (warehouses) around GA to support their one-day (and soon 2 hour) shipping services in Metro ATL.

My guess is PSA is neither of the above, and just got steamrolled by the DoR.

That being said, sneaking it in like this is ridiculous.

FWIW, here's the GA law...

Under the new law, an out-of-state “dealer” who has what is commonly known as a “click-through” arrangement with one or more persons located in Georgia, and meets a few other conditions, must collect sales tax. More specifically, an out-of-state Internet retailer needs to collect sales tax from Georgia customers if that retailer:

has an agreement with one or more residents of Georgia to refer potential customers to the retailer via a website link or otherwise

compensates the Georgia resident or residents for directing potential buyers to the retailer, and

the retailer’s “cumulative gross receipts” from such directed sales to Georgia customers exceeds $50,000 during the preceding 12 months.

FWIW, here's the GA law...

Under the new law, an out-of-state “dealer” who has what is commonly known as a “click-through” arrangement with one or more persons located in Georgia, and meets a few other conditions, must collect sales tax. More specifically, an out-of-state Internet retailer needs to collect sales tax from Georgia customers if that retailer:

has an agreement with one or more residents of Georgia to refer potential customers to the retailer via a website link or otherwise

compensates the Georgia resident or residents for directing potential buyers to the retailer, and

the retailer’s “cumulative gross receipts” from such directed sales to Georgia customers exceeds $50,000 during the preceding 12 months.

I hope everyone realizes GA is on a run-away taxation train. Let's see what has occurred:

1. State gas tax passes making GA the highest priced state for gas in the SE.

No one cared

2. State tax passed on all used vehicle purchases based on an arbitrary amount determine by a bureaucrat - by the way it's on its way to 9% in a few years.

No one cared.
(And before anyone says "it's better than ad valorem" that is like saying getting kicked in the teeth is better than getting kicked in the balls. No matter how they spin it replacing one unfair tax with a more unfair tax isn't a solution.)

3. State passes an Internet sales tax in order to subject its citizens to taxes on items purchased out of state.

No one cared.

Combine these latest actions with a State income tax of up to 6% and rising property tax Mil rates and GA is looking more like a blue state than a red state these days.

Rant over

Last edited:
I've seen a post where PSA has alluded to a presence in the state. Per no they've got the ball rolling for licensing and such... but no actual site yet.

In any case, their shipping got really good... then took a big ol crap around the holidays. I'm still waiting on an order from 12/26.

Unless they're giving something away, they're unlikely to see too much of my money in the near future.

For what it's worth... this is a great price on a killer BCG. These will occasionally hit $69... but normal price is $99-109...

Amazon did it to get concessions on locating warehouses in GA for their 1-day shipping.

There's no reason at all PSA should be charging GA residents sales tax though, unless they built a store here I wasn't aware of...

FWIW I only got charged $3 tax...

This was shown on my order though.

"Due to PSA's ever growing business, the state of Georgia is now applying a 4% sales tax to all purchases made from our website by residents with Georgia zip codes. Thank you for your continued support and understanding."

That's probably it for me and PSA then. If I'm paying GA tax, I'll just buy it in GA.
your last sentence...that's what the state of Georgia wants you to do. that's why they imposed the tax on PSA and other out of state retailers in the first place - to protect less efficient local businesses from the advanced business practices of PSA and the like.

it's protectionism at it's finest. you realize that psa probably had little choice in the matter. it's an added cost to them to collect taxes on behalf of your state. they probably consulted with their lawyers who told them that they are legally required to do it.

don't be a sheep. use your logic.

Last edited:
And 'my logic' tells me that GA has absolutely no right to charge sales tax on a product I purchased in another state.

I really think Palmetto should have fought this, since now every other state will be after them as well. If you look at the conditions in the law I posted above I don't see one that seems to apply to them.

If I want PSA parts, they are available through local gun stores. I know CG&P sells lowers at least. And I would hardly call the gun industry in GA 'less efficient', we have more industry heavyweights here than in any other Southern state I can think of.

And it's not so much protectionism but greed.

Georgia (and other states with 'Amazon laws' ) are seeking money they don't legally or morally deserve. I'm not using anything provided by the state of GA to buy this product, so why should they get to tax my purchase. If anything, S. Carolina should be charging me their sales tax. not GA.

So no, I'm not 'a sheep' on this.

GA is making a money grab, and by going along with it PSA has lost my business. It's not like they are the only people on the Internet selling lower parts kits. The extra $15 on a rifle kit isn't the problem, it's the principal of the thing.

Back
Top Bottom