• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

PSA for GA Hunters: If you kill a deer, call your processor before you go

I just picked up my deer tonight, and my processor said they are not taking anymore until probably Friday. They are slam full, and he said he's been taking calls from...s, Perry, etc area. But he said he was calling over in Dooly County, and they were full as well.

Thanks for the reminder. Almost forgot how full it was last year in Lamar Co.

Is it more deer or fewer processors?

Thanks for the reminder. Almost forgot how full it was last year in Lamar Co.

Is it more deer or fewer processors?

All the processors I am aware of in the local area are still around, and I am not aware of any newer ones.

My processor said it was most likely the weather. First it was the heat and then rain we had early on so hunters were all getting out in the woods in mass.

After dropping off deer #3 for the season and thinking about the bill for all of them, I’ve decided to buy my own equipment and start doing my own from here on out. I spend $600+ on processing each season, not including any hogs that I shoot.
I have a local meat market that I can get all of my supplies from.

Same in Newnan... I broke one down for a neighbor Saturday because the local place had no more hanging room but would take it quartered.

After dropping off deer #3 for the season and thinking about the bill for all of them, I’ve decided to buy my own equipment and start doing my own from here on out. I spend $600+ on processing each season, not including any hogs that I shoot.
Yeah it is cheaper to do it yourself. You just have to use your time to get it done. But for the money it saves I don’t mind the time

Sounds like it's more statewide so I'll edit the title.

I like to process my deer because I can do it exactly how I want, especially letting the deer hang and age longer than my processor typically can. But this time of the year, I'd rather be spending all my free time in the woods instead of processing a deer.

If you do decide to DIY, I'd advise looking into an old fridge that you can use to hang and age deer. Even with a smaller fridge you can quarter and age, but I prefer to hang whole.

Sounds like it's more statewide so I'll edit the title.

I like to process my deer because I can do it exactly how I want, especially letting the deer hang and age longer than my processor typically can. But this time of the year, I'd rather be spending all my free time in the woods instead of processing a deer.

If you do decide to DIY, I'd advise looking into an old fridge that you can use to hang and age deer. Even with a smaller fridge you can quarter and age, but I prefer to hang whole.
Good idea. I’ve been quartering and placing them in a cooler full of ice and I change the water out when it gets tinted by the blood.

Back
Top Bottom