• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

PSA for GA Hunters: If you kill a deer, call your processor before you go

Good idea. I’ve been quartering and placing them in a cooler full of ice and I change the water out when it gets tinted by the blood.

I used to use the cooler method also. When I got the fridge, I just built a wooden frame to insert inside and hung a gambrel from the top to hang them. The commercial fridges with the fans are the ideal setup, but I rarely run across any at good prices.

Snelson Venision Shop in Woodbury has room as far as I know. They built another additional cooler during the summer in addition to the one they had. They also don't mix meat and do one at a time.

Big buck in eatonton is still taking them, weekend before this past one, me and my brother in law were in a situation. I cant Cape a deer worth a crap and neither can he. We went to garners and they weren't taking any, called firetower and got got told they weren't taking anymore, called a couple in Greensboro, same answer, called one in Madison and got the same. Finally called big buck and they were accepting still. We've never used them but were in a tight spot needing the Cape and head saved and meat cooled. Luckily it was pretty cool outside.

Processors I know of in Crisp County dont seem to have any issues. Dropped off my buddy's deer Saturday and my 2nd on Sunday. Brother-in- law dropped a couple off at a different processor last weekend.

My next door neighbor drove 80 miles last week in search of a processor. Things will get normal again, but it has been crazy the past couple of weeks.

Lawson's in Waco (Carroll County) was still taking deer this past Saturday when I went to pick mine up, but they were hanging them in a refrigerator truck as their permanent cooler was full.

That’s what I do anyways. Never know who’s meat your gonna get from the processor. Lol

This is why I always did my own when I lived in Middle GA. I heard too many horror stories of getting back musky, stinky, gutshot deermeat from processors. No thanks.

I have an electric grinder and sharp knives, also a limited budget too. Doing it at home not only saves money, but you are assured it is YOUR deer and you can cut it/grind it how you want.

I have a cow worker who's dad started one this year. He's semi retired, was just doing it for some side money. A couple weeks in he threw out his other shoulder. He put up a sign that said not taking anymore deer at this time. The guy that had the processing down the street called him and said at least put them in your cooler that his was about to overflow and he would come and get them when he got caught up. My co worker goes over there almost every night to skin them out for him.

Back
Top Bottom