• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pull my hair our wiring problems....

BigMike

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
232   0
Reaction score
I have this truck, the grey goblin, I bought new in 04. 320k later I still use it as a bump around except it has started killing batteries. I wouldn't call myself a mechanic but I know my way around a vehicle. I've replaced the ECU for a separate issue and had the speedometer rebuilt in the last 30 days for another unrelated issue. Now, as best I can tell, the speedo won't go to sleep and stop pulling power. I hooked up my meter and found 350 mA draw, unhooked everything except the speedo and got no change. Rehooked everything and unplugged the speedo and the draw dropped to 18 mA. Does anyone know what could command the speedo on? 2004 silverado gas burner.

Check the connector for the speedo. Find the wire that has 12v after the ignition switch is off, get a wiring diagram and see where that color wire goes. Was anything changed or added to electrical system. If there is no wire with 12v on the speedo connector it is probably something seeking ground through your speedo and the resistance in the light bulbs is emitting light. I am assuming the light bulbs in the speedo are incandescent. If they are LED ignore that guess.

Like lostchild posted, bring it back to the builder and have them check it out. Not questioning their ability, something may be at fault in the cluster. Bench testing the unit should reveal any issues.

Last weekend I talked to a tech at GM. He pulled the schematic and said to check the ignition switch, it could be back-feeding power to the cluster. In the interim, my meter **** the bed and ive put it on the back burner for now.

Back
Top Bottom