Purpose of Suppressed Ruger 10/22

FOOMAN

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
4   0
Reaction score
I finally got my Spectre II yesterday and of course went and shot it immediately. Sounds amazing on Savage bolt action gun but sounded horrible on my Ruger 10/22 I-tac. I knew I would hear the crack but it sounded louder than that. Bullets were Remington (1200 fps). Maybe CCI standards will be better but haven't found any yet. Not sure if I can make it quieter. Any suggestions. If I can't get it quieter than I really don't have a purpose for it.

I did not buy this suppressor for rifles but mainly for my pistols. I know the Sparrow is better for rifles but thought my I-tac would have sounded better. Sounded great on Ruger Lite and P22. Actually my P22 was cycling subsonic rounds.

You have to use subsonic rounds on a rifle to avoid the loud crack. My sparrow is very quiet on my 10/22s but only with subsonic ammo like cci standard velocity.

Most of what you are hearing is the bullet breaking the sound barrier(about 1050fps) and making a mini sonic boom. Subsonics are a must in a rifle, but pistols won't normally need them because the barrel length doesn't allow most ammo to reach hypersonic speeds.

Remember that you are also hearing noise thru the action cycling. On a bolt gun all gas goes thru the can, not so much on a semi auto where the action is opening and closing letting gas escape thru it.

Got it. I will keep looking for CCI Standard. I did not try any of my subsonic rounds because all I have heard is that semi auto rifles won't cycle them but I will give them a try too. It was louder than a sonic crack to me. I have shot regular 9mm through my Osprey and it seemed quieter. Thanks for the input.

Agree - CCI standard or subsonic. First shot usually is louder. I have several versions and all are quite. Bolt guns will be quieter since there is no noise coming from the action cycling. Change the buffer to a plastic one also..

Agree - CCI standard or subsonic. First shot usually is louder. I have several versions and all are quite. Bolt guns will be quieter since there is no noise coming from the action cycling. Change the buffer to a plastic one also..

Thanks. I will look for a plastic buffer. I may get rid of the I-tac and build an ar pistol.

Agreed on the buffer! Get a 3 pack and you're set for life. There's a bunch of different kinds and I think most all of them are good.
My rugers cycle subsonic no problem.

High pressure round causing port pop.

Action noise.

Get a good poly buffer, use subs. I kind of figured out after getting a can that in a 22 rifle most of the noise is the sonic crack.

Back
Top Bottom