• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Pursuing a career as a gunsmith?

Yeah, not planning to live off the "profits."

I'm already drawing a pension and my GI bill is paying for the schooling. Being that I'm living comfortable and content with where I'm at, might as well do something I already enjoy.

GI Bill paid for mine. Colorado School of Trades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me ask you this: Do you want to work for somebody else as an employee, or own your own gunsmithing business? Will you work from home at first, or go right into business from the start with a commercial space?
Are you willing to invest in the kind of power tools and metalworking and woodworking machines that you'll need to be a full-service gunsmith? Or will you limit your gunsmithing to what you can accomplish with basic hand tools, a bench grinder, a Dremil, etc?

I'm wanting to start with the training and certs to get me in the door. Working for a shop either as an individual or under someone to start; I would prefer to work under someone to start. However, in my area, that's not going to happen.
The industry and customer base/need will tell me if I should outsource certain jobs or invest in the equipment to do it myself.

I consider myself to be skilled in a lot of areas already...such as refinishing with hot, cold, and rust blueing. Refinishing stocks and checkering.

I would like to be able to turn barrels, true actions, build AR platforms, repair broken components, refinish, and tune/upgrade firearms in general.

I know that I will have to attend manufacturer specific courses to be certified to work on their firearms, eg. Springfield, Colt, Glock.

In about 5 years, I will be moving and hope to set up my own shop with a designated commercial space or separate building on my property. I'm not looking for the big bucks. Just something I can see myself doing when I'm 60.

Back
Top Bottom