• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

quest for accuracy

Weigh everything other than the primer. Weigh the powder charge. Weight sort the brass and the bullets. Don't mix brass lots. RCBS hand priming tool and feel the primer seat properly. Use only match grade (benchrest) primers. Use a powder charge that is at least 96% of case capacity. Don't insist on maximum MV from your load. If you notice a seriously different pressure needed to seat the bullet, set that round to the side and redo it, including resizing the brass. If it still does it, ditch that round.

These are just a few, but it's a good start.

Trim your cases to exact lengths, use a good bullet, be consistent with powder and use one that fills most of the case as a minor deviation will not be as much of an issue. Uniform neck tension is critical. I use the Lee factory crimp die to assist this. This is about the bulk I do. For specific bolt guns I'll smoke up a cartridge and figure out where the lands touch and back off a tad from that and just neck size for that gun for that ammo.

One can go to higher measures, weighing the cases, bullets and every charge. Turning necks to obtain uniform tension. Drilling flash holes out uniformly, cleaning primer pockets etc. but the performance gained has diminished returns. However, if you are a bench rest shooter competing 1/32" inch matters.

As long as I can obtain about an inch or less at 100 yards I'm satisfied typically. But its great satisfaction tossing three-five in a nearly one hole group at a hundred. Typically, only a few guns have the ability to achieve this and even fewer men.

Last edited:
Trim your cases to exact lengths, use a good bullet, be consistent with powder and use one that fills most of the case as a minor deviation will not be as much of an issue. Uniform neck tension is critical. I use the Lee factory crimp die to assist this. This is about the bulk I do. For specific bolt guns I'll smoke up a cartridge and figure out where the lands touch and back off a tad from that and just neck size for that gun for that ammo.

One can go to higher measures, weighing the cases, bullets and every charge. Turning necks to obtain uniform tension. Drilling flash holes out uniformly, cleaning primer pockets etc. but the performance gained has diminished returns. However, if you are a bench rest shooter competing 1/32" inch matters.

As long as I can obtain about an inch or less at 100 yards I'm satisfied typically. But its great satisfaction tossing three-five in a nearly one hole group at a hundred. Typically, only a few guns have the ability to achieve this and even fewer men.

How do you smoke the cartridge?

How do you smoke the cartridge?

Candle soot the (dummy round) bullet, at different seating depths determine where the rifling just contacts that bullet design (ogive), then seat it back a tad from there. It won't work on a rifle that has freebore and if the throat is worn badly from erosion. Just don't make them so long that they bind in the magazine or jam into the rifling which may increase pressure significantly.

I use sharpie marker too but the soot is extremely sensitive and more accurate for me. I use it for adjusting contact surfaces too, such as fitting a barrel to a pistol. There are tools too, but I have not invested into them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom