• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

quest for accuracy

of all the silly things I've done to make Match brass over the years the one thing that is important is neck tension as Ram noted.. the best way to get uniform neck tension is to sort your brass by uniform neck size... I use the RCBS Concentricity Gaging Tool. you can measure round run-out as well as neck uniformity

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/310955/rcbs-case-master-concentricity-gaging-tool

everything else is pretty much just being anal after you get the right load and OAL

Last edited:
Trim your cases to exact lengths, use a good bullet, be consistent with powder and use one that fills most of the case as a minor deviation will not be as much of an issue. Uniform neck tension is critical. I use the Lee factory crimp die to assist this. This is about the bulk I do. For specific bolt guns I'll smoke up a cartridge and figure out where the lands touch and back off a tad from that and just neck size for that gun for that ammo.

One can go to higher measures, weighing the cases, bullets and every charge. Turning necks to obtain uniform tension. Drilling flash holes out uniformly, cleaning primer pockets etc. but the performance gained has diminished returns. However, if you are a bench rest shooter competing 1/32" inch matters.

As long as I can obtain about an inch or less at 100 yards I'm satisfied typically. But its great satisfaction tossing three-five in a nearly one hole group at a hundred. Typically, only a few guns have the ability to achieve this and even fewer men.
No need to smoke cases, the are hard to keep lit.
Get a Hornady OAL guage http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadi...ating-depth-tools/length-gauge-prod70272.aspx
http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadi...l-comparator-body-w-14-inserts-prod36535.aspx
No need in settling for a 1 inch group when you can possibly get 1/2 inch groups with the right equipment. and proper techniques, and yes, being anal does pay off. Quality equipment produces quality results.
These are just some of the things I do
Everything is weighed within 1/0 th and 1/100 ths of a grain
All cases (Lapua) are weighed and sorted within 3/10 th's , and it takes a lot of brass to be able to load in 100 rds per match.
Cases are the trimmed to length within .005
I turn all the necks, then neck size with a Redding bushing die for a uniform tension that is .002 smaller than a loaded rd.
Primer pockets uniformed with the Sinclair primer pocket uniformer
Powder is weighed within 1/100 of a grain ( 1 kernel) on the AND 120i scale and Omega 2 powder trickler
IMG_0466.JPG

Each bullet is seated and measured @ the ogive , not the TIP. I use Redding and Forester dies with a micrometer seaters so I can seat a round, then back it off a few thousandths and seat another round then adjust for my desired length of 3/1000 ths. off the lands. This is repeated for every round.
After being fired 1X, just neck size. All my match rounds are fired 1 time before a match
Re-anneal after 3 firings

Back
Top Bottom