• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question about private versus public roads in Murray County, GA

CardsFan

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
0   0
Reaction score
I am having trouble researching concerning what constitutes a public versus private road in north Georgia, specifically Highway 52 in Murray County east of Chatsworth.

There is a neighborhood off GA 52 that has no signs identifying as residents only. It is paved which I assume is a road maintained by the county, but I could not find any info to confirm that.

My wife and I frequently drive through that neighborhood specifically looking to see and photograph bears. We have received some dirty looks from some of the residents there when driving through slowly, and I can understand why to some extent. However, if it is a public road, they don't have a say on who can drive on the road itself (in my mind- lol).

We never pull into anyone's driveways or ever set foot on to anyone's property. We just stay in our vehicle while driving on the road through the neighborhood.

I tried doing some research on Google but struck out. In Murray County, GA, can a road that has no signage stating it is private be driven on by any legal driver? Does anyone know how to confirm if it's a public or private road? Thanks for any guidance.

I know my in laws are on a private drive and the county will not maintain it… both me and a few others take turns refreshing the gravel and box blade the edges.

It’s about 1.5 miles long with 8 driveways connected to the drive.

I know my in laws are on a private drive and the county will not maintain it… both me and a few others take turns refreshing the gravel and box blade the edges.

It’s about 1.5 miles long with 8 driveways connected to the drive.
That's what I live on. There's a sign out front "Private Rd. not County Maintained". All it is is an easement to get to the 3 homes on it, and we have to maintain it.

That's what I live on. There's a sign out front "Private Rd. not County Maintained". All it is is an easement to get to the 3 homes on it, and we have to maintain it.
Same here for me. If it's private like this and you want people to know it you put up signs stating so and to keep out. That's what I've done. Doesn't keep everyone off but it does most.

What neighborhood? if it's fort mountain estates they are public roads and you are welcome to ride around. I won't shoot🤣

Thanks Ixraypeople Ixraypeople , it is Fort Mountain Estates.​

We cruise through there frequently after eating at Biggun's in Talking Rock, and it's been a pretty good spot for critter watching. Last year I was filming a fox just laying at the entrance, and then had a bear with 2 cubs ran right behind us.
Critter chaos! Some days it's like an animal park :)

Funny thing is, we rarely see one single critter in Fort Mountain State Park (although we did see a female with 2 cubs yesterday about 1/4 mile from the entrance). We've had much better luck in your neighborhood.

We love that area for both the scenery and critter watching, and I'm insanely jealous of you!

So for all of you up in that area, if you see a Ruby Red Ford 150 cruising slowly through your neighborhood with an old guy, a red head, and Sheep-a-doodle in the back seat, we're not casing the joint. We casing critters.

Generally if you see a speed limit sign or stop sign you can be sure it's a public road. Dont know if that helps.

Thanks Winston. I can't remember it there was an actual speed limit sign in that neighborhood or not since I am moving very slowly. When we're purposely trying to spot wildlife, I'm usually moving at 10 MPH or less (unless here is somebody coming up behind us), and frequently stop. So we're moving at a snail's pace. In neighborhood's like there one we were in, we were well under the speed limit.

If someone comes up behind us, we'll pull over and let them by.

Once I'm on the highway, different story :)

Right now on the mountain
IMG_20230507_194945.jpg

Back
Top Bottom