• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question about zero’ing combat rifles

I just ran the numbers and that trajectory is right. I got to tell you, I could never be comfortable with a round that's zeroed to be 7 inches high at 150 yards. :shocked:
That's the battle sight zero. its pretty much a do everything "ok" out to 300m zero. I will say the video I posted above will give you a MUCH better zero but you will have to remember to adjust your slider for the varying distances you are engaging from.

If you don't wanna fuss with the slider and wanna hit Center mass targets out to 300 with a maximum deviation of 7" in the worst case the battle sight zero is for you.

Here's the old school Russian way I was referencing.
That makes sense. They are assuming that there is going to be some variation in the actual slider adjustments. By using the 300 meter sight position and then zeroing for the proper high impact at 100, it will average out any variation and be reasonably close at any of the sight positions.

If a bullet starts out 1.5” below the bore, but intersects it (first zero) at less than 25 yards, that’s going to put the bullet several inches high at mid-Range, and it won’t fall into the second zero spot until 250+ yards.

That seems reasonable to me. Aim dead-on at O-75 yards. Remember to aim a few inches low at 100 or 150 yard targets “IF” precision is important. Aim dead-on at 200 or 250. Aim a few inches high at 300 yards (I’m not sure I could see what a few inches of hold-over looks like at 300y, with my bare eyeballs and no optics.)
That basketball trajectory is a pain in the ass. Glad I'm an AR guy.

That makes sense. They are assuming that there is going to be some variation in the actual slider adjustments. By using the 300 meter sight position and then zeroing for the proper high impact at 100, it will average out any variation and be reasonably close at any of the sight positions.
If I can get a comfortable 110y range to lay down and stretch my AKs out at I will zero them this way in the future.

Back
Top Bottom