• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question for ar experts

Tula is generally the most inconsistant ammo. However, all ARs should be able to run it, at least more consistantly then you are. Give it 500-1000rds to break in and see if it makes any difference (hint, it should).

If you are having true double feeds- two live rounds in the action- you have a bad magazine.

If you mean you are getting an empty and a live round stuck in your action, you have a problem with your extractor spring. Replace the extractor spring with a Colt extractor spring

Thanks for the info mist wolf. All the problems went away when I bought 55, 62 grains 556 and 223 in Winchester and Remington. I am up to 200 rds through it with no more problems. Once I get to 400 I am going to try a box of wolf just to see if it will then run steel

Thanks for the info mist wolf. All the problems went away when I bought 55, 62 grains 556 and 223 in Winchester and Remington. I am up to 200 rds through it with no more problems. Once I get to 400 I am going to try a box of wolf just to see if it will then run steel
Mine wouldn't shoot steel-cased Wolf reliably until it was broken in. After a range session, I usually chuck a 5.56 chamber brush in my drill and thoroughly scrub the chamber with a bore cleaner, clean the bore, and follow with dry patches. I never have a problem any more.

Also make sure to thoroughly clean the BCG gas chamber, getting all carbon out (along with the bolt tail), then lube with CLP or similar.

Sent from my Droid Turbo using TapaTalk

I shoot steel in both my AR's the majority of the time. Both are parts builds, not expensive guns at all. Never had one problem cycling steel in either of them.

Brass cases are easier to extract, so they are easier on your extractor spring. Extractor springs don't fail all at once. They fail a little bit over time and once they start failing, they don't get better. It's just a matter of time before your problem comes back, even if you break in your AR and whether you stay with brass case ammo or try steel case ammo again.

At this point, you can do one of two things. Install a Colt replacement spring and eliminate the problem, or keep shooting your AR as is and see how long it takes for the problem to show up again. If you choose the latter, just keep in mind that the spring needs to be replaced. Cleaning and lubing will buy you a little more time, but don't fall into the trap of thinking that fixes the problem

Back
Top Bottom