• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question for the S&W folks

There are three screws that secure the side plate to the frame. In @WyldeDime pic in post #8 you see two of them, the third being covered by the grip. The screw covered by the grip looks different than the other two in that it has a flat head as opposed to the convex head the other two have. If the screw directly under the cylinder has a flat head it is definitely the wrong one and you will need to try swapping it out with the other two convex head screws and checking fit of the cylinder. If the screw under the cylinder is already a convex head, then simply swap out the other convex screw and check fit. If neither convex head makes a difference then I would contact S&W and arrange to have the revolver sent in for repair.

The frame lug can be replaced by the do it yourself skilled man, check out this thread for a detailed guide, once you source a place to obtain the replacement lug.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-smithing/125996-frame-lug.html

You can find a replacement frame lug here…

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/search#query=686 frame lug

It looks to me as if the lug was intentionally ground down for some reason. There appears to be some grinding marks just above the trigger opening on the frame.

Thanks again for the info all. I double checked screw placement and they were correct and tried to swap out the 2 convex heads but had no luck. I think 1006 is correct as there is grinding marks near the trigger that the original seller mentioned and they line up with the frame lug. No idea why someone would want to grind it down but I am thinking it was intentional since it was just enough to allow the cylinder to barely clear it.

I appreciate the links CQB. I may give it a shot using the guide before I take it to a local smith. The cost to send it off somewhere probably wouldn't be worth it since it is only a range gun for me and still functions fine in that regard.

One of the few intelligent things that I have heard James Yeager say is that there should be a $200 tax stamp on dremel tools. That is a beautiful revolver. Thank God that frame lug is available and cheap and the gun is stainless.

One of the few intelligent things that I have heard James Yeager say is that there should be a $200 tax stamp on dremel tools. That is a beautiful revolver. Thank God that frame lug is available and cheap and the gun is stainless.

Too true! It's a shame it wasn't a Glock, it might have increased the value here. $10 shipped for the part and a little bit of time watching youtube tutorials and it should be fully functional again. Then maybe I can trade it for a round butt grip version like I was wanting originally. Thanks again for all the solid advice/info everyone.

Back
Top Bottom