• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question for you 300BO deer hunters...

drewga11

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
66   0
Reaction score
What ammo are you using with good success? Particularly if using a shorter barrel?

I shot two deer last year with my 8.5in 300BO using 150gr bullets. I forgot the exact load, will have to dig through closet and see if I can find the box later. I think it was Federal Power Shok 150gr SP.

The first deer was a large buck at about 50 yds, he fell in sight within 60 yds. Bullet did not exit. Zero blood trail. Very little blood in my truck after hauling to processor.

The second deer was an average size doe. Shot at 90 yds, she ran into the woods. No blood trail or hair whatsoever. I'm as 99% sure I didn't miss. Never found a single speck of blood or hair and never found the doe. I'm assuming if I did hit her, the bullet once again did not exit.

I've used heavy for caliber soft points exclusively with great success for a few yrs now in other guns. But after those 2 deer last year with the 300BO I'm skeptical about using that load again.

I have been using a hand load with the Maker 220grain solid copper expanding 300 BO bullets. I shot three deer last year with it and they all dropped within 50 yards.

Edit- all shots were taken within 70 yards.

drew you are getting pistol volositys out of that short barrell proberly 12-1400 instead of 2000-2200 ft per second not enough to penetrate at those distances.

The v ax 110 I have killed a couple hundred with them on crop permits.i don’t hunt with mine if I did I would use the Barnes tx 110 as mentioned.I always say a big mature buck is a different animal than the 100-120 lb does.
I agree man. But yall keep buying it all!!!! :fencing:

Back
Top Bottom