• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question on getting started on Reloading

cru9

Default rank <1500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
69   0
Reaction score
I am just learning to reload and want to by my own set up
What do you have and what do you recommend?
I can't break the bank so I am not going out buying the top of line stuff

Single stage is a one at a time method. Seating bullet. Powder throw. so on. Turret spins and you can do all the steps at a pull of the handle.

I have been loading for over 30 years....it depends on the volume/quality you shoot and load. My opinion is to start with a single stage press. You should first learn the process, pitfalls etc. You can find used presses fairly cheap. Then move to a progressive loader when you have learned the process and become familiar with everything. You will also learn if you have the need (volume) to move up to a progressive loader. The Dillon 650 is what I use, but also have two single stage presses. If I want to try another caliber its much easier and cheaper to make the change with a single stage press than the progressive. Stay with brand names, RCBS, Hornady, Lee, Dillon etc. The single stage is easier, simpler and you only perform one function at a time. The progressive takes time and patience to set up.....it is imparative that it is set up correctly to function properly.

No matter what press you choose.....learn from a fellow loader if possible....and..... always, load for quality and not quantity. It's not rocket science, but it can be dangerous if you do not pay attention.

When loading...avoid distractions such as tv, kids, wifes, phones etc. and keep a written log of what and when you load. It may sound silly now, but you will be glad you got into the habit as you learn to load multiple calibers, powders, and projectiles.

Good luck and be safe. Feel free to contact me through PM if you have any further questions or concerns.

Curt

I was interested in reloading.. then realized I had nothing to reload, no brass.

So I'm collecting my brass every time I go to the range. I'm filling up a 5 gallon bucket with 9mm, 45 and 5.56. When it is full I'll rethink the reloading idea. That is my approach... but I'll watch this thread for (more) good advice.

I was interested in reloading.. then realized I had nothing to reload, no brass.

So I'm collecting brass every time I go to the range. I'm filling up a 5 gallong bucket with 9mm, 45 and 5.56. When it is full I'll rethink the reloading idea. Thatis my approach... but I'll watch this thread for (more) good advice.

If you need any help, you have my number I think..

I am just learning to reload and want to by my own set up
What do you have and what do you recommend?
I can't break the bank so I am not going out buying the top of line stuff

This is a good place to start: http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/116921-Metallic-Cartridge-Reloading-for-the-New-Guy

Basic Stuff:

1. Basic list of required equipment: Press, dies, etc.
2. Good starter press
3. Are presses mounted to a table?
4. About how much time per round to handload?
5. Any random tips?

(1): A decent O frame press, carbide dies, magnetic dampened scale, powder measure, priming system, vibratory case cleaner-media/polish, loading blocks, case lube-spray on, primer flip tray, case trimmer, decent caliper, chamfering hand tool, and perhaps for military brass a primer pocket swager.

(2): For the coin Lee is hard to beat and they make starter kits that will save you some cash. (A) Single Stage Press: One single die mounted in the press, performs 1 or more functions with one throw of the handle.

(B) Turret Press: Can mount Multiple Dies in the Turret. Usually 3-6 holes for dies. Handy if you get one that has easily removable turrets. You can purchase extra turrets and set your dies up per each caliber and change turrets depending on said caliber to be loaded. You Manually move the turret to the die that provides the function of the step you are performing.

(C) Progressive Press : Very similar to the Turret Press. Multiple dies in the Turret, and with each throw of the handle the turret automatically advances the dies and cartridge through the Progressive (steps) of loading the cartridge.

(3): Presses should be mounted to a heavy sturdy table-drilled and bolted, the table can and should be secured to the wall.

(4): Time? As much as you need to insure total safety. This is not a activity to be rushed.

(5): Tips, petro_58 linked to a reply from an earlier request for reloading information. I hope it helps. The NRA has classes for reloaders and I would encourage you to get signed up for one.

Now on to reloading pearls:

I think Chuck dog rightly suggest for a newbie starting out with a single stage press. Your initial cost will be less and if and when you decide to move on to a progressive press you can still use it and the supporting accessories. I still do all my rifle reloading with a single stage O frame press. I shoot a lot of pistol ammo and a progressive just is a much more efficient but more complicated method of reloading. You can get plenty of recommendations of types of presses, powder measures, components etc. here at the ODT.

Last edited:
Read all the above, read more, read loading manuals, and find someone who can help you.

You can always pick up some used equipment, then move up or stay with what you have acquired...

Safety, Safety, and more Safety. You will either grow to enjoy this craft or will get tired of it. It can become an obsession.

Good luck, and start slowly.....

The above individuals have given you some very good information.

Back
Top Bottom