• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question on getting started on Reloading

I was interested in reloading.. then realized I had nothing to reload, no brass.

So I'm collecting my brass every time I go to the range. I'm filling up a 5 gallon bucket with 9mm, 45 and 5.56. When it is full I'll rethink the reloading idea. That is my approach... but I'll watch this thread for (more) good advice.

If you are just picking up your own brass, then it would be a lot cheaper for you to look on here and pick up the brass when it comes up for sale. All that money you would spend to buy the rounds just to collect the brass, you could spend the money on your reloading kit.

Oh and I might sugesst the Lee Classic Turret press. You can remove the spindle that rotates the turret to set it up as a single stage, and then when you learn the fundamentals you can can change it over to the turret.

I almost got a rock chucker, and think its a great option, the included scale seems to be the gold standard that others are measured against. The lee scale's reviews are hit or miss, with more misses than hits from what I was reading.

The book the abcs of reloading is a good starting point. Only been loading (9mm, 223, 32acp) for a year now on a single stage but willing to help out if you have any questions.

I will +1 all of the voices here regarding starting on a single stage.

Never load distracted, tired, or drinking
there is no such thing as too much light.
Slow... go for quality instead of Quantity.... reloading 500 rounds an hour doesn't matter when #4 is overcharged and blows your hand apart.

check every round

check every round again

Double check everything, and when you think it's right check it again. All it takes is one screwup to hurt yourself, someone else or a good gun. Just pay attention to what your doing.

edit....sorry...redundant to above ! Lol.

Back
Top Bottom