• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question selling/trading a a form 1 item

Jwebb929

Default rank <750 posts Supporter
Frontiersman
99   0
Reaction score
I have a MK18 that I register as a SBR with the “free tax stamp”. It was approved with conditions. I’ve done some research on selling this item since i’m bored with it now. Some say just removed the stock sell it as it came, some say send letter for removal from registry and sell it. If that is true do I need to wait for confirmation from the ABC boys to sell? Or can I just sell it as it came from the factory since it was a braced gun?

If it's an SBR thanks to the pistol barrel with a brace the feds consider a shoulder stock, you'd need to either get it removed from the registry first, by modifying the gun and notifying ATF, or just sell it in-state to somebody who wants it as an SBR. That's what I did with a couple of NFA items. Sold them to other Georgia residents, took the money on Day 1, sent-in the paperwork the next business day, and gave them the gun on day 330 or whatever it was, however long it took, when the Form 4 came back approved and stamped.

You can sell it as long as it’s in non-NFA configuration. Treated as a title 1 at that point. You can ask them to remove it from registry and new buyer will have to form 1 themselves.

That said, probably worth it to keep the lower in case you want to build a different SBR later.

What is the notification process to have it removed from their "perfectly legal paid permission registry"? Is there an online process or is it only through mail?

Back
Top Bottom