• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Raised Garden Bed

I like the wicking bucket idea as I don't have a lot of room for the raised beds. Does anyone have plans for those buckets? I tried to listen to the videos but could not follow due to the rambling and backing up. I am just looking for a drawing.
I like the wicking bucket idea as I don't have a lot of room for the raised beds. Does anyone have plans for those buckets? I tried to listen to the videos but could not follow due to the rambling and backing up. I am just looking for a drawing.
i am doing the wicking tubs this year and they work really well for collards, kale, broccoli, cauliflower. Have just started snow peas, squash and zucchini. Plannonnthis being the biggest part of my garden as it is just too wet to work the ground. Looked on line for a good diagram and couldn’t find one. This guy rambles a little less, still a 15 minute video but veryInformative.

I've had great luck with vermiculite and peat moss (one bag each per 4 x 8 bed), and compost. Some old cow manure in the compost bing sometimes.

The vermiculite and peat moss hold the water well.

I also use a soaker hose every few days until I see water water oozing rom between the boards.

I used cedar wood once. It lasted a few years. About as long as pressure treated did.

Lastly, after about 3-4 years I do have to add more compost or some natural fertilizer.

What are you using for containers?
Protein tubs, I have several friends who have cattle, and I had several large nursery containers. When things get to where I can get out again I am going to get some food grade 55 gallon drums and cut them in half. Have 8 with cold weather stuff in them, kale, broccoli, cauliflower, they grow really well.

Anyone here created a raised garden bed? The wife wants one in the backyard, so I figured I would see what others have done. I know I could slap 4 2x10’s together, but I’m sure there are other creative options.

Any lessons learned? I read on one site not to make them wider than 3 feet to reach everything.

I used graph paper to plot some out before. It helps you visualize how everything will fit and what you will be able to reach easily.

Kids and I built this earlier today.

IMG_20200410_114855.jpg

Back
Top Bottom