• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Ranch rifle

mach1yell

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
7   0
Reaction score
Hi everybody, I bought a mini 14 ranch rifle in stainless steel a couple years ago in 6.8 Spc they soon quit making them in that caliber do you think that will make my rifle worth more? I put a nice scope on it and hunt deer with it and it is a devastating round. I'm impressed for what it is.

300 Blackout killed the 6.8. Does the same thing, only better. I'm not saying I'm a fan of either of them, just that the 300 is better than the 6.8.

300 Blackout killed the 6.8. Does the same thing, only better. I'm not saying I'm a fan of either of them, just that the 300 is better than the 6.8.

img.tapatalk.com_d_14_04_29_vegymy7e.jpg

The 6.8 is an effective round for sure...I'm not sure I would call it devastating.

For hunting, it does the job and - in most typical loadings - it does it better than 300BLk. I've owned rifles in both. A 6.8 spc II in 110/120 grain such as the factory offering by SSA is going to carry a lot more speed and energy out of a 16" barrel than a similar weight bullet in 300. At distance, the difference only gets bigger due to the lower ballistic coefficient of the 6.8.

Not saying that the 300 is a bad round but it's not the ballistic superior to or equal of the 6.8. I could dig up some facts and stats but it's too late and I'm too tired to internet at the moment.

The reason why the 6.8 mini-14 has become rare is due to popularity or lack therefore. The 6.8 round's popularity has waned due to the introduction of the newer thing (300). Plus, mini-14s will never be as popular as ARs. A somewhat rare caliber in a less popular weapon series probably doesn't make a lot of business sense (or cents).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom