• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Ranch rifle

Have killed deer with both the 300 and the 6.8 over the last few years and only hunt with the 6.8 now. The 300 did the job well enough to get the job done (124 ballistic tips), but the 6.8 dropped every deer in it's tracks (120 Hornady SST). The 300 killed every deer that we shot with it, they just ran fro 20 to 100 yards where the deer shot with the 6.8 were all DRT.

Not very scientific and for sure not using any ballistic charts or anything, just what I personally have experienced. To call one round better for hunting deer than the other is a waste of time as far as I'm concerned, they both have their place and will do the job. If you start arguing which is better for deer, the 6.8 or the 300BO you should throw in the 7.62X39 just for fun.

That's pretty much my point. Both function on deer similarly. Use a 150 ballistic tip in the 300 next time and I bet you get more of the DRT effect. Now add in the greater diversity of bullets that can be loaded into a 300 and the fact that it's designed well for subtonics and you have the winner. The only real advantage the 6.8 has is that it's a bit more flat shooting than the 300 because of a better BC, but neither of them is a good long range round. If you want long range use the 223 or step all the way up to the 308 Win.

Both the 6.8 and the 300 BO are under powered compromise rounds trying to get performance from a too short case so it will fit the AR15 platform. The optimum round for performance in an AR15 is STILL the 223/5.56.

Last edited:
That's pretty much my point. Both function on deer similarly. Use a 150 ballistic tip in the 300 next time and I bet you get more of the DRT effect. Now add in the greater diversity of bullets that can be loaded into a 300 and the fact that it's designed well for subtonics and you have the winner. The only real advantage the 6.8 has is that it's a bit more flat shooting than the 300 because of a better BC, but neither of them is a good long range round. If you want long range use the 223 or step all the way up to the 308 Win.

Both the 6.8 and the 300 BO are under powered compromise rounds trying to get performance from a too short case so it will fit the AR15 platform. The optimum round for performance in an AR15 is STILL the 223/5.56.

Nope the. 6.8 double kills. The 6.8 kills em, revives them so they can claim proclaim the 6.8's superiority, then kills em again.

I don't see how you can say that my 556 is a great caliber, but the 6.8 is head and shoulders above that

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom