• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Read this and see if you agree. WMA issues.

I know that sometimes non hunters do get on your nerves. But on public land, this can and does happen. Some years ago, I was in my stand way before daylight. Around 7:30 a.m. I hear walking coming towards me. You guessed it, another hunter going through the woods trying to find a place to hunt. As far up the tree as I was, I didn't make a sound and I just let him pass through. Maybe 10 or 15 minutes later, I had deer all around me, and they came from the way the guy had walked passed me. Sometimes things like this can realy help your hunt. Ray

I know that sometimes non hunters do get on your nerves. But on public land, this can and does happen. Some years ago, I was in my stand way before daylight. Around 7:30 a.m. I hear walking coming towards me. You guessed it, another hunter going through the woods trying to find a place to hunt. As far up the tree as I was, I didn't make a sound and I just let him pass through. Maybe 10 or 15 minutes later, I had deer all around me, and they came from the way the guy had walked passed me. Sometimes things like this can realy help your hunt. Ray

I like your style, Ray. Similar thing happened to me last year, actually. Two hunters came walking through around 9am and I just stayed quiet. They never saw me, and about 30 min later a little four pointer chased a couple does in the same direction. :thumb:

I like your style, Ray. Similar thing happened to me last year, actually. Two hunters came walking through around 9am and I just stayed quiet. They never saw me, and about 30 min later a little four pointer chased a couple does in the same direction. :thumb:

I agree, it does help at times.

I had three car loads of people pull up to me as I was waiting for my buddy at the vehicle to call it a day this evening.

Apparently these people approached a logging trail that was open and drove a half hour through the trail only to come upon a closed, locked,gate 500'feet from the main road they wanted to get on with me sitting on the hood of my vehicle on the other side.

I immediately tried to open the gate but it was padlocked.

I told them I'm just waiting for my hunting partner to return from the woods.

One lady said " You scared me I thought you were waiting for us' plus you look like a forest ranger."

We talked a bit as women, men and children piled out of the vehicles and the lady wanted to know if I had tools to cut the padlock on the gate.
I told her I did not and that I doubt the forest ranger would be too pleased if I did.

They asked why it was closed here and I told her its always closed but it is archery season and the woods are full of hunters.......they did not get what I was saying and they made sure they all talked amd yelled as loud as possible and turned up the radios on their jeeps as loud as they could after they turned around and headed back the way they came.

Aren't y'all proud of me, I was nice to them.....no mean comment or bullets flying.

God, I need to find some private property. LOl.

Happy hunting.

Last edited:
You got it in one. If I have to pay what? $19 to hunt on WMA's, then those dang horseback riders, hikers etc. should have to pay to do their activities on the land as well. And yes, ban all others during hunts on WMA's, public land or not. There are rules for hunters on the land. Why not non hunters? We are, after all, the ones funding the lease and management of that land!!!!!

In my opinion all facilitys on WMA's should require a stamp and associated user fees to be paid. Just like to use the ranges there.
The burden of financing their operation falls on the backs of sportsmen and this should not be the case. All users should pay. the $19 a year for a WMA stamp. Yearly access to all that acreage for such a small fee is fair in my opinion.
Wanna use a WMA then purchase a stamp.

I guess that would be too much like right.

You got it in one. If I have to pay what? $19 to hunt on WMA's, then those dang horseback riders, hikers etc. should have to pay to do their activities on the land as well. And yes, ban all others during hunts on WMA's, public land or not. There are rules for hunters on the land. Why not non hunters? We are, after all, the ones funding the lease and management of that land!!!!!

Public land is public land. If you want to hunt in privacy and not have hikers, etc. come through your beloved hunting grounds, then join a private club or buy your own land and have at it. Simple.

I would say yes...but then I can see where the non hunters would have plenty to fuss about....I will say that non hunters during deer season should wear orange regardless if hunting or not when on WMA.

EXACTLY!!! If it's a hunting season (bow, rifle, spitballs), anyone in the woods should be required to wear orange

Public land, if you don't like it, pay for a hunt lease

Yeah, public land. If you DO like it, you had better buy your GORP http://www.georgiawildlife.com/Georgia-Outdoor-Recreational-Pass like I do to hunt. That is my point. I have to pay to enjoy this land. All others should too. Why should they get a free ride? Or are you a liberal who feels entitled to free stuff from the govt? I'm going to start asking people I see on WMAs if they have a WMA stamp. If they don't I'm calling the rangers.

BLM land in New Mexico is free for anyone who wants to use it. Maintenance is mainly paid for by cattle ranchers who run their cattle on the land. I don't think only sportsmen should pay for it, but the public is already paying for it and the public owns it. Use should be free.

This is NOT NM, if one user has to pay ALL should and follow the regs for hunters as well, don't like to see people harmed even through their own stupidity.

Back
Top Bottom