• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Read this and see if you agree. WMA issues.

Public land man. Sucks, but they have as much right to be there as you do.
This is it WMA's are not for hunters only. I think Blaze Orange for everyone during season is a good idea though.
BTW I think the OP did a good job. Hunters cannot expect everyone to know when season starts but a bit of politeness goes a long way. The fact that they said they should keep it down was a nice gesture of getting along.

In my opinion all facilitys on WMA's should require a stamp and associated user fees to be paid. Just like to use the ranges there.
The burden of financing their operation falls on the backs of sportsmen and this should not be the case. All users should pay. the $19 a year for a WMA stamp. Yearly access to all that acreage for such a small fee is fair in my opinion.
Wanna use a WMA then purchase a stamp.

I guess that would be too much like right.

This, and I don't hunt deer on public land.

In my opinion all facilitys on WMA's should require a stamp and associated user fees to be paid. Just like to use the ranges there.
The burden of financing their operation falls on the backs of sportsmen and this should not be the case. All users should pay. the $19 a year for a WMA stamp. Yearly access to all that acreage for such a small fee is fair in my opinion.
Wanna use a WMA then purchase a stamp.

I guess that would be too much like right.

In my opinion all facilitys on WMA's should require a stamp and associated user fees to be paid. Just like to use the ranges there.The burden of financing their operation falls on the backs of sportsmen and this should not be the case. All users should pay. the $19 a year for a WMA stamp. Yearly access to all that acreage for such a small fee is fair in my opinion. Wanna use a WMA then purchase a stamp.I guess that would be too much like right.
I disagree. I was born and raised in new Mexico where public land is public land. There are no usage fees for anyone as we already own it.

Several WMAs close horse/bicycle trails before 10am during deer and turkey season, and for Crockford-Pigeon Mountain WMA: "Horse, bicycle, caving, hiking, rock climbing, parasailing and hang-gliding trails and areas are closed all day during firearms deer seasons." Link

Wonder if I could hit a hang-glider out of the sky with my bow? :)

I disagree. I was born and raised in new Mexico where public land is public land. There are no usage fees for anyone as we already own it.

Just like anything else these areas require maintenance, equipment and personnel. Why should the burden of the cost be on the sportsmen of Ga through their WMA stamps when other users skate by? Why shouldn't others who use the facilities be required to pay their share for these costs?
In case nobody ever told you there is no such thing as free lunch. When it's all said and done somebody's gotta pick up the tab. When it comes to WMAs or friend who was trying to hunt and other Ga. sportsmen PAID for the privilege to use the area while the hikers who ruined his hunt did not.

Last edited:
Just like anything else these areas require maintenance, equipment and personnel. Why should the burden of the cost be on the sportsmen of Ga through their WMA stamps when other users skate by? Why shouldn't others who use the facilities be required to pay their share for these costs?In case nobody ever told you there is no such thing as free lunch. when it's all said and done somebody's gotta pick up the tab.
BLM land in New Mexico is free for anyone who wants to use it. Maintenance is mainly paid for by cattle ranchers who run their cattle on the land. I don't think only sportsmen should pay for it, but the public is already paying for it and the public owns it. Use should be free.

Yeah I understand it is public and I have had more problems with unethical hunters than I have with hikers etc.

When I see another hunter in the woods I immediately go back the way I came as quietly as possible to go find another spot.

Nothing like someone coming up on you while you are on stand, waving at you, then deciding to set up And ground hunt 60 yards away, make annoying moose sounding calls then taking a dump behind a tree.
Yep happened to me last year at blue ridge.

Also last year at Dawson forest I was about 300 yards from an access road snugly in my stand for about an hour when a whole family of campers looking for firewood come trudging about 100 yards from me and fire up a chainsaw to cut up a big dead log.

In between the sawing I whistled until they heard me and got quiet enough for them to hear me so I could say " I'm trying to hunt over here,"

At least they said sorry and quickly got in their truck and drove off.......needless to say I had no deer activity that day.

Oh, the joys of public land.......someone call the whaaaambulance. LOl.

Back
Top Bottom