• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Reality hits...

Stop worrying about family history. Modern medicine changes all of that.

Take care of yourself and spend about an hour a day doing physical maintenance. (Workout) Take vitamins and supplements. Do all the things you already know are good for you. When we are young we bounce back pretty good, but now we need to do it right to be able to enjoy life. Hell, we've earned!

Also, take a close look at these two products. They aren't gimmicks and I can attest to the results of Basis. I've been taking it for over three years and the results are so obvious that both of my daughters and my wife are now taking it and I didn't talk them into it. The Matter is new, but by the same company and is for brain function, whereas Basis is for you body.

https://www.elysiumhealth.com/en-us/basis
https://www.elysiumhealth.com/en-us/matter

Do all this and then just go play. Do what you love for the next 20 or 30 years or more.
Thanks @Bear44 , I will definitely check out the meds...

I'll be 40 in a few more rotations. Far as I'm concerned my body has been slowly crashing since 26. It's never a bad time to take care of yourself though.
I hear ya, 9 years in the 9 hard years in the oilfield and in commercial.industrial electrical/controls trade since then...back surgery, surgeries on both feet, and knees that remind me on the daily that I have neglected them thoroughly...body has definitely been crashing! That's why I decided to cut some weight, see if I could get a little more mileage out of it!

Health scares make you "wake up" and re-evaluate yourself more than age. I never thought about my age much. I'm only 55 but have 8 stents, a resectioned G.I. tract and type II diabetes, LOL. I think I might have enjoyed myself, whisky, tobacco and the womens too much as a younger fellow. Should have taken better care of my physical plant.

About 10 years ago I decided to make a real change and enjoy my time more. A heart attack in 2006 was my wake up call. I was working for a Fortune 500 company in Chicago, had lived and worked in Cincinnati then San Francisco before that with them, but the stress was killing me. I'd have to pull over on my morning drive (only about 3 miles) to the office on North Clinton and puke at least once. Just the thought of going into the office made me ill. That's no way to live. I decided to move home to Middle Georgia. Tech changes make it no longer necessary to be tied to an office so that was no worry.

I don't have a lot of advice to give folks but I myself have learned that it's important to:

Be part of something. Work for others' benefit. Volunteer.
Watch and emulate Godly men. (not preachy loudmouths or evangelicals) Men that love their families and take care of them and others, aren't overly profane (Guilty) and aren't given to vice. Have them as your friends if you can and associate with them.
Enjoy yourself and spend time doing something you love to do.
Don't have harsh words with people you love if you can avoid it. You never know when that might be the last thing you say to them and there's no "do overs." It'll leave a pain that won't heal, no matter how much time passes.

It's good to stop and look at yourself and your life from time to time, I certainly don't think of it as whining. We have enough whining about nonsense here to go around.
Well, after reading that I'm pretty sure I was whining, LOL! I'm glad that you were able to re-direct your life and head towards a better, easier, and more sustainable lifestyle. I appreciate the advice, the "be part of something" comment is definitely something that I am missing...thankful and appreciative for my wife and family but never really had (made) the time to be part of anything else...

I can only add about me and I am right behind you in age. My physical condition is rough, my insides have been abused and my mind wanders down a lot of rabbit holes. I ponder every day the road I traveled and the road ahead.
I try to be the best I can be everyday and live by my Ranger Creed, the Serenity Prayer and James Dean.

il_570xN.1538246650_omrx.jpg

prayer-1200x900.png

d62876306aea628d84593ea6f784b72b.jpg

Happy Birthday and Drive on!

I am 59 years old, I am over weight and the worst shape of my life. I just retired and sold my house and bought a few Acreas in Tennessee to build my retirement home. I am glad to be out of the rat race. The stress I was carrying while working was enormous And I was sure it would eventually kill me. I have been retired since thanksgiving but it's weird how stressed I have let myself become over building a house and barn. I have done nothing but be a builder for 40 years so this actually should be a piece of cake. I wonder if I just have Maybe Trained myself to work under stress and can't seem to shake it. My Dad died at 70. He was the toughest man I know and watching him dealing with the never ending health problem and deteriorating was hard. So i have made a commitment to get into shape ,loose weight and spend every moment with the family that I love. I believe it's never too late to make a new life plan and realize we are not immortal. When I get this house and barn built I plan to party like it is 1999! However with the limited amount of funds I have left It may just end up being bingo night at the local community center.

I am 59 years old, I am over weight and the worst shape of my life. I just retired and sold my house and bought a few Acreas in Tennessee to build my retirement home. I am glad to be out of the rat race. The stress I was carrying while working was enormous And I was sure it would eventually kill me. I have been retired since thanksgiving but it's weird how stressed I have let myself become over building a house and barn. I have done nothing but be a builder for 40 years so this actually should be a piece of cake. I wonder if I just have Maybe Trained myself to work under stress and can't seem to shake it. My Dad died at 70. He was the toughest man I know and watching him dealing with the never ending health problem and deteriorating was hard. So i have made a commitment to get into shape ,loose weight and spend every moment with the family that I love. I believe it's never too late to make a new life plan and realize we are not immortal. When I get this house and barn built I plan to party like it is 1999! However with the limited amount of funds I have left It may just end up being bingo night at the local community center.
First off, congrats on the retirement! Secondly, I feel ya on the weight gain. I'm almost 6'4" and as of January 1 weighed in at 298lbs, I'm a big guy with a big frame, and broad shoulders so it didn't look that crazy but, my knees, back and ankles were hating me on a daily basis. I started the intermittent fasting thing (no eating before 11am and after 7pm), portion control (just eating a normal sized meal instead of everything that I could fit in my body), and stopping all of the sugary drinks, pretty much just drinking water, coffee/tea (unsweetened) and zero sugar drinks. I'm fairly active so the weight has started falling off pretty quick, down to 275lbs so far ...shooting for 250. I can tell you this, just the weight that I have lost up to this point has made a ton of difference in how I feel...definitely worth a try.

Health scares make you "wake up" and re-evaluate yourself more than age. I never thought about my age much. I'm only 55 but have 8 stents, a resectioned G.I. tract and type II diabetes, LOL. I think I might have enjoyed myself, whisky, tobacco and the womens too much as a younger fellow. Should have taken better care of my physical plant.

About 10 years ago I decided to make a real change and enjoy my time more. A heart attack in 2006 was my wake up call. I was working for a Fortune 500 company in Chicago, had lived and worked in Cincinnati then San Francisco before that with them, but the stress was killing me. I'd have to pull over on my morning drive (only about 3 miles) to the office on North Clinton and puke at least once. Just the thought of going into the office made me ill. That's no way to live. I decided to move home to Middle Georgia. Tech changes make it no longer necessary to be tied to an office so that was no worry.

I don't have a lot of advice to give folks but I myself have learned that it's important to:

Be part of something. Work for others' benefit. Volunteer.
Watch and emulate Godly men. (not preachy loudmouths or evangelicals) Men that love their families and take care of them and others, aren't overly profane (Guilty) and aren't given to vice. Have them as your friends if you can and associate with them.
Enjoy yourself and spend time doing something you love to do.
Don't have harsh words with people you love if you can avoid it. You never know when that might be the last thing you say to them and there's no "do overs." It'll leave a pain that won't heal, no matter how much time passes.

It's good to stop and look at yourself and your life from time to time, I certainly don't think of it as whining. We have enough whining about nonsense here to go around.

Man those are some great pointers that I will definitely consider myself. I admire that you didn't let your health defeat you.:D

Back
Top Bottom