Rebuilding a 6.2L Diesel

rOmiLaYu

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
245   0
Reaction score
Any ballpark ideas on how much this should run? I got a quote that seemed astronomical. Just wondering what you guys think.

Also, suggestion on where to take it or if you're in the business, let me know.

'86 Chevy Suburban.

Any ballpark ideas on how much this should run? I got a quote that seemed astronomical. Just wondering what you guys think.

Also, suggestion on where to take it or if you're in the business, let me know.

'86 Chevy Suburban.

Would you consider replacing it with a gas burner ? I had an 82 GMC a long time ago, diesel went bad, I put a 350 gasser in it.

Just a thought. It's not a hard swap.

Heck, if the price is too on the rebuild and you like/plan on keeping the Suburban, I would look at a crate engine or purchasing a long block and having the mechanic put it in. I've had great luck with remanufactured long blocks in the past...unfortunately I have never purchased one in a diesel though...

Why do you say that? Honest question.
Well there are hot and cold opinions on older GM diesel engines. I have no idea who built them for GM. But GM was known for hit or miss diesel stuff back then. But didn't the same engine go in the military contract Blazers?
The older Ford stuff like the 6.9 and 7.3 non turbo engines were International/ Navistar. Those were good engines. The guy I'm working with now rebuilt the engine in his brother's Kenworth in the frame back around 2012. I'll ask around tomorrow. But if it came with a diesel I'd try to keep it that way unless it was just cost prohibitive.

Back
Top Bottom