Rebuilding a 6.2L Diesel

Labor to revolve, rebuild and replace the engine is around 30 hours ($2000-$2800)
Plus the cost of a master rebuild kit as well as any charge to rebuild the heads if needed as well as boring the cylinders and possibly line boring the the crank journals. If the crank is bad that will add to it also.

I would consider a 6.5 swap if nothing else it is a litltle more power for not much in changes . I would also consider a gas motor swap . You could buy a New not rebuilt 350 for that kind of money

But the 6.5 has that stupid controller that always over heats.

I would either recommend a hummer motor for the non smog stuff. They make better horse power and rub better by far. Just look at the intake manifolds and exhaust manifolds and you will see a difference.

Really a 4bt or 6bt would be the way to go. You are on your way to a totally EMP proof truck. Same with the 6.2l

Mechanical diesels are awesome. Just get the better manifolds, and turn up the pump a little but

My neighbor just swapped a Cummins 6BT (12V) into his 99 GMC 2500 in place of the 350 that was in there and it is awesome. His truck is built so it wasn't cheap but definitely worth it.

Well there are hot and cold opinions on older GM diesel engines. I have no idea who built them for GM. But GM was known for hit or miss diesel stuff back then. But didn't the same engine go in the military contract Blazers?
The older Ford stuff like the 6.9 and 7.3 non turbo engines were International/ Navistar. Those were good engines. The guy I'm working with now rebuilt the engine in his brother's Kenworth in the frame back around 2012. I'll ask around tomorrow. But if it came with a diesel I'd try to keep it that way unless it was just cost prohibitive.
I think GM only used the 471, 671 series engine in their military equipment. There is a huge difference between one of them and the 6.2L.

So who built those engines and would they bolt up in the 86 Suburban?

They are a 2 stroke diesel Made by Detroit Diesel, with a direct drive supercharger. These are true industrial type engines, very dirty environmentally (so is war) and are used today mostly as stationary units, like generators. They can be sleeved and bushed, so finding one with 20k hours on it ans still going strong is not uncommon in the oil patch. They would tear up a Suburban. Their supercharger, a roots type gear driven blower is more widely known for their use in dragsters, especially the hemi-head Chrysler engines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Diesel_Series_71

Back
Top Bottom