• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

rechambering the same round

jc

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
2   0
Reaction score
hey, a question or two. is it ok to load a round from the ejection port[ drop one straight in the barrel]? reason i ask is a couple of my pistols stay loaded with hollow points. if i take one of these to the range, i have to clear it because i like to shoot cheaper round nose ammo at the range. so when i get back home, i have been putting the round i ejected in the hollow point mag and rechambering it. i think this is not good for a round over and over. so there is my reason. is it ok to feed a round like this? thanks

Yes. If the primer is dented to bad, you could toss or use it on a range day. I cycle my weapons frequently

some weapons have free floating firing pins, like the ar for example. This can possible cause a slam fire or cause a primer to fail, but not likely.

As far as dropping it straight in the chamber is concerned, you could possibly damage your extractor.. As for rechambering the same round, I've seen rounds get seated too deeply in the case from that sort of thing. It can cause unsafe pressures in the chamber. Just shoot and replace your SD ammo once in a while and you should be fine.

Loading the round directly into the chamber and then dropping the slide can be bad for the extractor because it forces it to pop over the rim of the round to be able to extract it from the chamber. Some pistols are more prone to this then others, but the gun isn't designed to preform in this way and as such it wouldn't be a practice that I would recommend.

I seem to of overlooked the "drop one straight in the barrel"
I never drop one straight in the barrel,but I do put it back in the may holding the SD rounds and rechamber it!

As far as dropping it straight in the chamber is concerned, you could possibly damage your extractor.. As for rechambering the same round, I've seen rounds get seated too deeply in the case from that sort of thing. It can cause unsafe pressures in the chamber. Just shoot and replace your SD ammo once in a while and you should be fine.
you are exactly right,i was at protective measures office one day and he brought this to my att. and sure enough i got to lookin at the rounds i had been rechambering and the bullet was pushed back into the casing.you could tell a significant diff. in the length of the round compared to one that hadnt been chambered over and over..so just rotate them out.

I seem to of overlooked the "drop one straight in the barrel"
I never drop one straight in the barrel,but I do put it back in the may holding the SD rounds and rechamber it!

In which case the round will become impacted after numerous chamberings. Having tested this personally I would recommend changing your carry ammo after a while. A round that will perform exceptionally well under regular conditions can fail after being chambered repeatedly. I cycle my rounds in my carry gun and every few months shoot what is in it and reload with new. Defensive ammo isn't that high and my ass is worth a great deal more then trying to save a few dollars by carrying old ammo.

Back
Top Bottom