• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

rechambering the same round

As far as dropping it straight in the chamber is concerned, you could possibly damage your extractor.. As for rechambering the same round, I've seen rounds get seated too deeply in the case from that sort of thing. It can cause unsafe pressures in the chamber. Just shoot and replace your SD ammo once in a while and you should be fine.

Never thought of this, good point!

In which case the round will become impacted after numerous chamberings. Having tested this personally I would recommend changing your carry ammo after a while. A round that will perform exceptionally well under regular conditions can fail after being chambered repeatedly. I cycle my rounds in my carry gun and every few months shoot what is in it and reload with new. Defensive ammo isn't that high and my ass is worth a great deal more then trying to save a few dollars by carrying old ammo.

Yup, gonna start renewing my SD ammo!
Good thread here! :)

yep, same here. i'll just take my SD loaded pistol and send them down range then switch to round nose. when i get back home and get her cleaned, load her up with some fresh SD ammo. thanks for all the input. lots of good info.

Like everyone else has said, don't drop a round into the chamber and close the slide over it, the extractor isn't meant to do that and you will damage it. I have a friend that does this even though I have repeatedly told him not to.

Didn't they discover that this was the source of the .40 glocks' kabooms? Excessive bullet setback from rechambering the same round over and over?

Drop loading is a no no with my weapons. Most do what they always do, mostly because they don't know it is bad or could cause damage. As well as the bullet setback, LEO officers report that cycling the same round or two can cause primer/powder failures as they frequently chamber and unchamber rounds after shifts. I was informed of this by a ClayCo buddy and his rotation includes at least 5-6 rounds per mag.
I do the same when range shooting (cycling) so I usually just include the 1-2 rounds of defense ammo into my range ammo and load 2-3 rounds into 3-4 mags and practice mag changes, left hand only, right hand only etc. I'm told I should practice a little with what I carry for SD, so it's good to go through some of it and I'm more apt to shoot with some intent of learning and structure rather than just mag dumping 115 FMJ down range. I think about that stuff too, but you get my drift.
And I don't think it's that hard to tap and rack and eject and load the last round into the mag. Rather do that than risk poor extractor performance

Constant rechambering is not a good idea.

First, you should never drop a pistol round into a chamber and close the slide. Ultimately, extractors in pistols are not designed for this type of motion repeatedly. It's more about the pistol than the ammo.

For carry ammo, I wouldn't constantly rechamber the ammo as it will begin bullet setback and possibly kills the primer. If I unload carry/defensive ammo, I set the round that was chambered aside for practice use. I also rotate out my ammo every 6 months or so by shooting up what was carried and replenish with brand new ammo.

Back
Top Bottom