• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

rechambering the same round

Yet another function in which revolver excel over bottom feeders! :D

Cycling your carry ammo serves a couple of good purposes as stated above. Another important reason is that you are actually shooting your carry ammo and are familiar with the recoil and the Point of Aim/Point of Impact, which may well be different than that of your target/practice ammo.

Bullet setback can be avoided my marking the case with a sharpie when unloadimg for practice after it has been marked twice send it downrange.

Bullets recessed in the casing is usually referred to as "bullet setback" and as mentioned is very unsafe as it produces extremely high pressure & velocity when fired.
Here is an example of two identical 9mm cases.... guess which is the bad one.

Attachments

• IMAG0350-1.jpg
    IMAG0350-1.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 17
wow. that is quite of a difference. i would not want to try it, but would this round [one on the left] be unsafe to fire? thanks for the info. and pic.

Bullets recessed in the casing is usually referred to as "bullet setback" and as mentioned is very unsafe as it produces extremely high pressure & velocity when fired.
Here is an example of two identical 9mm cases.... guess which is the bad one.

1911 are bad for this as well and other guns with steep feed ramps

I had a buddy of mine who dropped a round in the chamber and hit the slide release while he was loading his XD-45. It caused a slam fire and sent a 230gr hydroshock slug right between his feet, through the floor, and into his basement. He claims he wasn't touching the trigger and he generally knows his way around a weapon so I believe him. I had heard other stories of XD's slam firing like this but I never thought they were true until it happened to him.

Besides, like others have said it is not good for your weapon in the first place. I wore out the extractor on my M44 Nagant doing the same thing.

thanks for sharing this. i think that same type of AD happened to one of my You Tube friends a while back come to think of it. and it was a Springfield. i will not be doing this type of chambering anymore. as far as the Nagant, i have never had one, but you were hand feeding a round into the barrel instead of letting the bolt feed it? just curious.

I've never heard of an XD slam firing. Are there any other instances that have been reported? It seems to me that most any striker fired pistol could do this.

wow. that is quite of a difference. i would not want to try it, but would this round [one on the left] be unsafe to fire? thanks for the info. and pic.

I definitely would not fire it. I've seen "kabooms" in enough different guns to confirm that I don't want to experience one firsthand.

It is a good practice to inspect your carry gun & ammunition frequently... especially if you load/ unload it often.

thanks for sharing this. i think that same type of AD happened to one of my You Tube friends a while back come to think of it. and it was a Springfield. i will not be doing this type of chambering anymore. as far as the Nagant, i have never had one, but you were hand feeding a round into the barrel instead of letting the bolt feed it? just curious.

Yes I was dropping rounds into the chamber one at a time. At the time I didn't know any better but I learned the hard way. (and it only took 2-3 boxes of ammo to wear it out) To this day I still have a single shot M44.

Back
Top Bottom